Rock climbing in Boise

climberchica

Hello all-

Hubby and I are heading to Boise for a 3-day weekend to climb and possibly mountain bike. Oh yeah, and we may go to a wedding sometime in there too. frown.gif

I did a search on this forum and can't find anything on climbing in Boise. The most I found was a comparison of Boise and Salt Lake.

So..is there anything good around there? If you only had 3 days, where would you climb? We boulder, and climb sport and trad. We are about 5.10b sport climbers, but really low trad climbers (we're big wusses).

If the climbing sucks, how is the mountain biking? What are some of the best trails?

Thanks in advance smile.gif...I have searched in vain for a climbing guide at the shops in Portland, but with no success.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

City of Rocks, Southern Idaho

that's a good option for 3 good days of climbing.

alternatively, The Black Cliffs along the Boise River, a few miles east of Boise are entertaining for a day. There's a book called 'Boise Rock Climbs' or something similar that outlines the climbing in the area.

I go to the Black Cliffs during my layovers there (when I don't have the time to go all the way to The City) and haven't been seriously tempted by anything else in the skinny little guide book.

The area NE of Boise is RICH in natural hotsprings...get Evie Littleton's book 'Hiking the Hot Springs of the PacNW" and have fun.

The Sawtooths aren't too far away, either.

edit: search for "Hells Canyon" here....an adventurous option I heartily recommend.

Edited by Thinker

There is lots of great climbing in Boise, and it is within minutes of downtown. Its called the black cliffs and the approaches are about 30 seconds. They are basalt columns. There are sport and crack routes. I would bet there are several hundred routes at least. It is east of downtown on the road paralell to the freeway and to the north.

Located ~10 miles outside of the town of McCall, Idaho. From McCall head East toward Ponderosa State Park (big green sign) and after a few miles, turn right toward Lake Fork Campground and Lick Creek Summit. Continue past Lake Fork Campground on your right, until the rock wall is visible on your left. Park in the pullout at Slickrock signpost. Now, just cross the creek on a logjam directly below the pullout and climb the hillside for 15 minutes to the center and base of the cliff.

491336-slickrock.JPG.4945830d817ba2f72d519ccc0595ad43.JPG

runnout for the first 3 pitches or so. A more direct and better protected, but harder pitch to the right of the first pitch leads directly up and over a lap to the firt belay. There may be more bolts on the route than the topo suggests. The first time I climbed the route there was 1 bolt, second time a couple bolted belays, etc. Expect all nut anchor belays. Standard rack to about #4 friend will make you happy. head right (north) for a somewhat tricky scramble down the side to the bottom. If you think you need a rope or a rapple you have gone the wrong way.

I second the recommendation for City of Rocks. there's a ton of great climbing there. you can get guide books to City of Rocks & Castle Rock at the gear shop in Burley. I think it's worth the drive from boise if you have 1 long full day, or can stay there overnight.

As an ex-NoPo'er, I'd be glad to recommend some good routes that are probably in your range there.

You can also check out http://www.boiseclimbs.com/ for a pretty comprehensive list of the crags around boise

shapp is right on about Slick Rock. I climbed it several times back in the early 90's, when there was only one bolt on the whole route. Last time I was there ('95?), I heard from the guys at Gravity Sports (in McCall) that there was an effort going on about establishing a bolted rappel descent line for use in emergencies (???).

And shapp's gear selection recommendation and descent caveats are spot on. His topo is different from mine, though, but still works great, from what I recall of the route.

Rock & Ice did a one-page piece on this route about 15 years ago. I may be able to dig up the piece (I ripped out the article/topo and kept it) at home if anyone wants it that bad. Hell, on second thought, shapp did such a fine job of providing driving directions, approach notes, route description/topo, and descent warnings, you don't need me! smirk.gif

I know of a 8 pitch 5.8 bolted route that I believe is right of the standard route on Slick Rock, then a runout-sounding .10c(?)R route to the right.

Check RC.com, I think they have details. It was discussed at some lenght on Tom Lopez's page, I don't have the URL handy though. Good Luck

not surprisingly for a large chunck of low angle granite slab, there are routes/variations all over the thing. I have climbed another route to the far right of the regular route (one described above). It heads roughly straight up to the double wide cracks/chimney system (also depicted on the topo above), probably in the 5.8 range, did it in 8 pitches.

• 2 weeks later...