Stetattle Ridge-Terror basin traverse

Adam__S

As long as I'm asking route beta questions...

What is the route from Stetattle Ridge(The ridge of Sourdough mountain and Elephant butte) that traverses below McMillan spire and above Azure lake like? Becky's guide shows it as a dotted line on one of his maps, but if he describes it, I missed it. The old Routes and Rocks guide describes it as fairly straightforward, but also puts a question mark in the middle, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But surely people have done it several times since then.

Any descriptions/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Adam__S

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've traversed this ridge in both directions, but not in quite a few years. When I did it, it was a fun scramble with some exposure in places, but not intimidating. Since then however I've talked to two people who had to turn back on this ridge. One of these people is a friend with climbing skills well above mine and this has made me wonder if some geologic event has occurred on the ridge since my last traverse of it.

• 3 years later...

I'm interested in doing this traverse, as well. My thought is to start at Diablo, head out stetattle ridge, climb W Mcmillan, and exit Goodell Creek. We're thinking of either the W ridge or N face of Mcmillan; any thoughts on the feasibility of getting around either the N or S side of Mcmillan to the base of these routes?

From what I understand, it used to be more straightforward and was used more often but many of the climbers interested in traversing the southern group simply come in at Crescent Creek and out of Terror Creek.

http://www.tonybentley.com/routesandrocks/Routes_&_Rocks_in_the_Mount_Challenger_Quadrangle_map.pdf

http://www.tonybentley.com/journals/adventure/?p=17