Squamish Rockfall

Collin

Last Thursday, (8/18/05), my partner and I were racking up in the campers parking lot under the Cheif when we heard the well know word, "ROCK". Looking up we saw a car size block, "huge", tumbling and crashing down to the forest below just left of the campsite, looking towards the wall. We spoted a climber high up but we couldn't see his/her partner. Shortly after the climber started climbing again, "solo aiding", we guessed/hoped. "ROCK", again and for the next 15 minutes we watched smaller amounts of rockfall come down. If the climber was cleaning the route, what the fuck. Shitty place and shitty method. Anyone hear anything about this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ya, me and my partner saw it, it looks like it cam ripping down diedre or bannana peel, i heard the "ROCK!!!" and looked over from Snake (where we were) to see a party jumping for their lives off the route.

thank ful no one died (actaully, a hiker died on the chief trails the day before this, SAR and police helicopters were flying all around that day, enough to give me bad vibes of leaving the bluffs)