what to say to tourists...

Z-Man

...who stray off the trail at a popular and well-marked, but fragile, place like the meadows above Paradise at Rainier. I say something to probably half of the people I see making new dirt tracks through the flowers in places like this, but I can't keep up with everyone and feel bad about lecturing people on something so obvious in front of others. What do you do?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...who stray off the trail at a popular and well-marked, but fragile, place like the meadows above Paradise at Rainier. I say something to probably half of the people I see making new dirt tracks through the flowers in places like this, but I can't keep up with everyone and feel bad about lecturing people on something so obvious in front of others. What do you do?

don't say anything, just shoot them! that will make the rest of the herd, even more scared and they will avoid any transgressions.

unless you are professionally trained in giving a total stranger an unsolicited lecture about what they should or shouldn't do ....... don't do it. chances are you're just gonna piss them off and give them a general disdain for those who care about such matters, and perhaps even about the matters themselves.

leave it to the rangers to do the lecturing.

I don't actually lecture them, just try to politely ask them to stay on the trail as it damages the fragile meadows, and move on. Anyone who's been up to Rainier has seen the beat-out dirt along the already eight-feet wide paths leading up to Pan Point. I mean they freaking paved the trail and people still stray all over the place, right past signs that say "stay on the trail."

i'd pretent to be an under cover park ranger on patrol

explain to them what they did was wrong and its a 1000 dollar fine, but i may be preswaded to not right them a fat ticket for a mer 100 bucks cash

then after they gave me the money i'd kick em in the nutts and run

but thats just me

unless you are professionally trained in giving a total stranger an unsolicited lecture about what they should or shouldn't do ....... don't do it. chances are you're just gonna piss them off and give them a general disdain for those who care about such matters, and perhaps even about the matters themselves.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The irony is killing me.

They should change the system. Fine anyone leaving the trail 500$ and make sure they enforce it. Sell bottled water at Muir for 100$ a bottle. Anyone picking flowers should be fined 1000$. I am pretty sure that would cover the cost for all climbing rangers because there are plenty of stupid people up there.

Seriously though, it isn't tough to just say, "I beg you pardon, but I believe we are supposed to stay on the trails".

I'd be curious to know how well that's working out for you. In my experience, even being polite, people, in general, will ignore you and do what they damn well please or tell you to F**k off and then do as they damn well please. Haven't had someone try to assault me yet though.