HB out of business: need offset advice

billcoe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a complete Newb when it comes to offsets, but I have been very happy with the Metolius Astro Nuts. They run about $10 each. They are designed like small Curve Nuts, but I haven't had any trouble cleaning them, even after taking a decent aid fall on one.

Here's a Discussion from RC.com on HB going out of business

Edited by fenderfour

Just file the corners on another nut. Takes 5 minutes and you can customize each nut as you see fit.

I've been thinking about doing this, but I didn't think my partners would be so cool with climbing on my mank homemade pieces.

I've also been thinking about modifying a set of cams to get some offsets since those damn aliens are so hard to find.

Just file the corners on another nut. Takes 5 minutes and you can customize each nut as you see fit.

I've been thinking about doing this, but I didn't think my partners would be so cool with climbing on my mank homemade pieces.

I've also been thinking about modifying a set of cams to get some offsets since those damn aliens are so hard to find.

Fenderfour - call the Mountain Shop in Yosemite. They probably have mulitples of all sizes of offset aliens for you and will ship to your door.

Holy schmankies!! HB offsets are like bread & butter for pin scars - best ever! I just ran down & got an extra double set from my local shop in a panic when I found out...

Marcus you bastard! yelrotflmao.gif

I just woke up: realized where those nuts were located and what you did, drove down there and bought the last set MINUS a #4!

Man was I friggan snoozing or what? I'd tried 3-4 internet sites and figured they were gone. But they were hanging on the wall of ClimbMax the whole time till you snagged them. smirk.gif

Another classic case of "you snoose, you loose" and "might as well pay for the good stuff". I'd been too cheap to purchse them at like $13-$15 each earlier.

Well, gotta go.....back to sleep. Early bird really does snag the worm and the HB nuts too. congrats.

Maybe you have a rental program?

Cya crazy.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi gearheads,

Below is a cut and paste email I got direct from DMM in mid September when I asked them about continued production of HB offsets. Looks like our little brass buddies will live on.

Wind at your back,

johnGo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John,

Good news.

We have just signed off on a deal whereby we purchased a variety of HB tooling.

This includes the tooling for the HB offsets.

We have also contracted a former HB employee to oversee production of the offsets and so the transition to production should be fairly straightforward.

They will be re-branded DMM.

We are aiming to have them in production in 4 weeks – this means you should see them in the States in 8 weeks.

Regards

Simon Marsh

DMM International

Y Glyn

Llanberis

Gwynedd LL55 4EL

T: 0044 (0)1286 873 500

F: 0044 (0)1286 872 090

E: simon@dmmwales.com

• 1 month later...

My conversation with Lisa Gnade at Excalibur (USA distributor) last week was about the aqusition of HB tooling. They have had issues with delivering product on time like there new Rebel and Anarchist ice tools, and the new carbon fiber picketts and deadmen. They didn't want to have another product in the same catagory (couldn't deliver on time)....so it sounds like fall of 2006 or spring of 2007 for the earliest delivery. The outdoor retailer show is this weekend in Salt Lake, so I can inquire with some of the boyz from Whales for a more accurate landing date in the U.S. I am urging them to do the HB El Cap helmet as well since they are now doing carbon fiber composite products. They are not sure if they will aquire that mold or not. I am doing my best to make sure that helmet will still be available in the future. I know that helmet has somewhat of a following like their offsets. Unfortunately for HB their cams didn't have the same loyalty.