Booty

JRCO

Saw this on climbing boulder this morning. Made me want to grab my pack and head up there. What are the ethics on this? Keep the gear? Return it? Seems like a lot of gear was used to bail.

Location: Northeast Ridge (on Sharkstooth at RMNP/Alpine/) Report to Moderator (What's this?)

By: Anonymous Coward On: Thu Aug 18 08:21:47 2005

Comments: My partner and I attempted to climb this ridge on 8/17/05, but we were unfortunately chased off by storms that arrived earlier than expected. In order to get off the rock, we had to rap the route leaving gear behind as we did. If anyone finds this gear please e-mail me, *******.edu, I am willing to reward anyone returning this lost gear as well.

Gear Lost:

We started under the fixed rap slings (a red and a super faded orange). About half a rope length above the slings there should be a #2 and a #3 C4 Camalot with a 4 foot red and white runner connecting them. Another half rope length up there should be a 3 piece anchor with a red and pink tricam and a #1 C4 Camalot. Above this is the crux, and where I bailed off a fixed alien (or alien lookalike). Above the anchor and below the fixed alien we lost a #.75 Camalot (not C4) a #0 and #1 TCU. Also lost but not as important are #s 2, 4, and 7 wallnuts.

Anything returned is appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bunch of fucking horseshit. You find it you keep it, regardless of whether you know whose gear it is or not.

Someone's retarted enough to abandon their shit and if you put forth the effort to hike / climb up there to get it, then it's yours.

If the original owner really wanted it they wouldn't have been wasting time posting about their sorry ass leaving trash all over the fucking mountain, they'd be hiking up there to get it back.

That's a bunch of fucking horseshit. You find it you keep it, regardless of whether you know whose gear it is or not.

Someone's retarted enough to abandon their shit and if you put forth the effort to hike / climb up there to get it, then it's yours.

If the original owner really wanted it they wouldn't have been wasting time posting about their sorry ass leaving trash all over the fucking mountain, they'd be hiking up there to get it back.

Everyone has their own ethics. Yours, as stated above, are quite in character with the asshole we all know you to be.

Giving credit where credit is due, the route is very popular and it's peak season. The individual posting is likely assuming that someone is getting on the route (the next day) before they can get up there.

They may also feel somewhat nervous going up the route sans camming units.

I was in that area on that day. The weather did a bit of a twist and went from very windy but dry, to full electrical with very heavy hail and rain in a VERY short period.

Unlike the Coast range or the Cascades, electrical activity is the defining weather characteristic of this range. They lost a lot of gear, but at least the lads got out of there fast enough to not get fried.

From a booty perspective: you know their names, they belong to the same community (climbers) and it could easily happen to you.

GB

man, haven't you people heard of 'do unto others.....'??? all of you can probably afford to buy your own gear unless you're one of those unemployed dirtbag climbers. if the guy was a friend of yours you'd probably give it back wouldn't you? so why the big disconnect if it's someone you don't know? you're not a bunch of fucking pirates, even though you like to pretend to be.

Hey Dru,

Remember how upset you were when your Android failed and your Quark went sliding down that slope (but stopped JUST in time)?

Remember how happy you were to get the stick back?

Never forget that feeling:)

GB

So, on the other hand I dropped a biner full of wired nuts off the South Face of Gladsheim last week, rapped the pitch, looked for it on the ledge below, couldn't find it. Basically I've now abandoned those nuts because I couldn't find them. They belong to whoever DOES find them. The same goes for any gear I have to retreat from. It belongs to whoever finds it. Likewise if the Quark had taken the big plunge and landed at the base of the face, none of us would have been able to retrieve it, I would have had to buy a new one when we got back to Vancouver, and 20 years later when someone makes the 3rd ascent of Quartz they might discover a historical relic... in none of these cases would I expect any gear back. However if somebody does find those nuts on Gladsheim, say this week, and feels kind hearted to mail them to me, I'd be happy to accept them cause I haven't bought replacements yet - and I've got a bottle of wine here that would go back the other way. Comprende? bigdrink.gif

Dru,

Totally. The key thing is though, that if you know who it belongs to, and if it's still in good condition... There's also a difference between stumbling upon something and going after it following word of an epic.

Bummer about your nuts. Did that cause a bit of stress?

GB

From a booty perspective: you know their names, they belong to the same community (climbers) and it could easily happen to you.

OK.

Some girl named Felicia, I have your biner I found on Stuart.

DMB: I have your pink rigid friend I found mildly stuck on the R & D route this spring.

To "Ron:" I've got about ten meters of the blue tat you left at the rap station on Lib Bell this summer.

If you claim your junk, I'll return it grin.gif

man, haven't you people heard of 'do unto others.....'??? all of you can probably afford to buy your own gear unless you're one of those unemployed dirtbag climbers. if the guy was a friend of yours you'd probably give it back wouldn't you? so why the big disconnect if it's someone you don't know? you're not a bunch of fucking pirates, even though you like to pretend to be.

I have heard that one actually, and if I bailed off a route, I wouldn't expect to see any of the gear I left ever again. OTOH, I would be happy if somebody decided to return it.

The one time I went to get booty that the loser had told me bout, he just told me to keep it. That's why I have a #4 Camalot. laugh.gif Oh yeah, I knew the guy. tongue.gif