No more MioxPens, Dueling Life Straws!

gapertimmy

not sure if this is a repeat:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4418/1/

<snip>

The LifeStraw – the invention of the century?

(link to this article)

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

August 17, 2005 More than one billion people – one sixth of the world’s population - are without access to safe water supply. At any given moment, about half of the world's poor are suffering from waterborne diseases, of which over 6,000 – mainly children – die each day by consuming unsafe drinking water. The world’s most prolific killer though is diarrhoeal disease from bacteria like typhoid, cholera, e. coli, salmonella and many others. Safe water interventions have vast potential to transform the lives of millions, especially in crucial areas such as poverty eradication, environmental upgradation, quality of life, child development and gender equality. LifeStraw was developed as a practical response to the billions of people who are still without access to these basic human rights.

</snip>

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not of interest to us, because its filters are too large and it uses iodine to kill bugs. From the review's website:

"For those of you considering using LifeStraw™ for outdoor adventures in the continental United States, beware that the common "beaver fever" (Giardia lamblia infection) is caused by an organism with 5 micron spores, which are resistant to iodine."

That sorta makes the whole thing questionable, since giardiasis is a common health problem in developing countries, too. And what's up with the Miox pens? There's been some skepticism expressed about its "mixed oxides." Is it only that its production of HClO makes for a chlorine taste, or is there something more sinister?

I think the description sounds a little far reaching. How does improving drinking water lead to something like gender equality? I understand the need for safe drinking water and I think people would support improvements in that area without needing such a hard sell.

(This message is not intended to be spray--but I'll delete it if it qualifies)

How does improving drinking water lead to something like gender equality?

In many areas of the planet it is the women who spend several hours a day gathering and carying water from the nearest source to the home. Not that a straw will help with that - more plumbing will.

Yeah, then the standards of clean go up and women still spend hours cleaning. The only thing plumbing does is qualify who gets to do the cleaning; if you are the one with the straw, you don't have to clean.

I just don't think a technical fix works on an adaptive problem, that's all.

Not of interest to us, because its filters are too large and it uses iodine to kill bugs. From the review's website:

"For those of you considering using LifeStraw™ for outdoor adventures in the continental United States, beware that the common "beaver fever" (Giardia lamblia infection) is caused by an organism with 5 micron spores, which are resistant to iodine."

That sorta makes the whole thing questionable, since giardiasis is a common health problem in developing countries, too. And what's up with the Miox pens? There's been some skepticism expressed about its "mixed oxides." Is it only that its production of HClO makes for a chlorine taste, or is there something more sinister?

The miox pen uses table salt, water, and an electric current to make bleach to process your water. Save some weight and bring a small dropper of the cheapest household bleach you can find. It is less likely to have funny things like color stabilizers and fragrances in it. I can't remember the recommended drops/liter, but I'm sure it's on the web somewhere.

I don't think Giardia is life threatening, just nasty. Many of the other diseases are much more heinous.

Giardiasis IS life threatening--to children or anyone with a compromised immune system--even though 20% of us have it in our guts. Household bleach will not effectively kill giardia cysts, nor will "chlorine;" that's why you can get it in a public pool or water park (eeuuww). Use Aquamira instead. But more on topic, wouldn't a SODIS disinfecting system be better than this straw thingie? It requires only used 2-liter PET bottles and sunlight; cheaper and more effective, seems to me.