Beta on Shuksan, Baker, Wa. Pass Area?

crazy_t

Has anyone been on any of the glaciers or alpine routes this last weekend? Any info about roads and access? Am looking to get on a mellow route on a glaciated peak next week (without a superlong approach) and would appreciate any current beta and/or suggestions. Thanks.

[ 04-29-2002, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: crazy t ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A yea,

I recently went up to the trailhead for Shuksan's Sulphide glacier......you should have skiis for this trip, as it wouldn't be worth the energy with snowshoes......as are most of the glacier slogs in the Cascades.....the snow begins just shy of the trailhead proper. I hope this helps you.....don't forget your slog permit.

On 5/1 the Schreiber Meadows Road was blocked by snow at 2440' about 3.5 miles from the summer parking lot. Road won't melt out for a looong time. Snow conditions high on the mountain were excellent for skiing and/or climbing. Bring skis or snowshoes for the approach as it would definitely be a bit post-holey.

quote:

Originally posted by hasbeen:

Hey, NoToes, could you drive all the way to the trailhead? If not, how far away did you have to stop. I know it will offend some that I am not on the road checking for myself but since you were there....

Capt. Caveman obviously hasn't crawled out of his cave yet. Otherwise he might say something to this effect: "...why don't you go up there and see for yourself, dickneck?" [big Grin]

Personally, I don't tink there's anything wrong with asking for road beta. Why waste the gas only to find out you've got ten extra miles to hump? [Wazzup]

I think it's cool the DOT took the time to document and present some of the details concerning the avy danger on HW20 and how they're reducing those dangers. It makes me realize they know how much people want to get up there. I think people often get frustrated because they feel govenment agencies don't understadn the publics desires (in this case: getting into the WA pass area) The DOT coming out and saying "this is what's up there that's keeping it closed and this is what we're doing to try and take care of it" makes people realize they're working on it. And the pictures of that gun are awesome! I'd love to be able to be there for that.

quote:

Originally posted by savaiusini:

quote:

Originally posted by hasbeen:

Hey, NoToes, could you drive all the way to the trailhead? If not, how far away did you have to stop. I know it will offend some that I am not on the road checking for myself but since you were there....

Capt. Caveman obviously hasn't crawled out of his cave yet. Otherwise he might say something to this effect: "...why don't you go up there and see for yourself, dickneck?"
[big Grin]

Personally, I don't tink there's anything wrong with asking for road beta. Why waste the gas only to find out you've got ten extra miles to hump?
[Wazzup]
What I might do is an internet search of my own or call some people [big Drink] and find out on my own. icon3.gif

Mostly there is nothing wrong. Just when someone gives a suggestion and you be a smart ass what do you expect them to be your friend Savalphapbet [Roll Eyes][Moon]

[ 05-02-2002, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Since you are coming from the Sea Town.... I can see why you don't want to drive up to the Baker Lake road just for a looksy. Its just a shorty drive for me.....but as I recall it was a few weeks ago now.....and I'm sure you can drive your car or whatever you got to the trailhead.

Yea, and if you haven't been up there before...it's not really a trailhead....more like the road just ends......it's really nice when you have to pay for a permit to have the road end.