Does anyone need anything?

googlebot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I hope he is, too. But remember, you posted in Spray, so you could have expected something like that from this crowd.

Related note: Anyone know of the search for the guy(s) who parked at Comet Falls TH last Saturday and headed up towards the Kautz? Heard the MRNP crews were scaling back the search effort.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I also like hopping on trains and looking at my face in a mirror and pretending I'm Einstein making light move faster than light. But wait, my face already IS a mirror. but wait light can't move faster than light cause it's light so time must be slowing down but my watch seems to be working argh

A team of researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) has successfully demonstrated, for the first time, that it is possible to control the speed of light – both slowing it down and speeding it up – in an optical fiber, using off-the-shelf instrumentation in normal environmental conditions. Their results, to be published in the August 22 issue of Applied Physics Letters, could have implications that range from optical computing to the fiber-optic telecommunications industry.

On the screen, a small pulse shifts back and forth – just a little bit. But this seemingly unremarkable phenomenon could have profound technological consequences. It represents the success of Luc Thévenaz and his fellow researchers in the Nanophotonics and Metrology laboratory at EPFL in controlling the speed of light in a simple optical fiber. They were able not only to slow light down by a factor of three from its well – established speed c of 300 million meters per second in a vacuum, but they've also accomplished the considerable feat of speeding it up –making light go faster than the speed of light.

--snip--

This is exactly what the EPFL team has demonstrated. Using their Stimulated Brillouin Scattering (SBS) method, the group was able to slow a light signal down by a factor of 3.6, creating a sort of temporary "optical memory." They were also able to create extreme conditions in which the light signal travelled faster than 300 million meters a second. And even though this seems to violate all sorts of cherished physical assumptions, Einstein needn't move over – relativity isn't called into question, because only a portion of the signal is affected.

-- source

-- another source