[TR] Roosevelt - Kaleetan- Traverse 8/16/2005

gyselinck

Climb: Roosevelt - Kaleetan-Traverse

Date of Climb: 8/16/2005

Trip Report:

Have wanted to do this climb for some time. It's mostly scrambling with a few 5th class moves thrown in to make it interesting. I found it to be as difficult as 5.8, but that can be attributed to my route finding skills. If you do it "right" its suppose to be one move of 5.2 or something. We also stayed on the ridge entirely from Roosevelt without dropping down, which most parties seemed to do. Just before reaching the N. Ridge of Kaleetan there is a section of scarry, major loose rock with hardly any pro. I just kept weaving our rope on opposite sides of the knife edged ridge line. The climbing was very easy through this section but I was worried about my hand or feet holds breaking off and taking a gigantic pendulum fall. Descent was easy. There are tons of good tasting berries in the area. Not sure if my partner liked the route, but I thought it was fun.

The N. Ridge of Kaleetan:

6146Kaleetan-med.jpg

Traversing the ridge:

6146N_Ridge_traverse-med.jpg

Looking down toward Chair Lake:

6146Chair_Lake-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

8mm 30 meter rope, half set of chalks, 3 cams

Approach Notes:

easy to follow climbers path, lots of berries

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool! thumbs_up.gif

Bigger pictures please smile.gif

That descent on the loose rock is way scary, but the rest of the climb is fun. Someone oughta go up there some (week)day and see if that part can be improved through some intensive trundling.

re: berries, I've never seen more berries than are currently out there! It's amazing.