Mt. Baker Mountain Stewards - Volunteers Needed

Rodchester

Mountain Stewards - Volunteers Needed Mt. Baker is a heavily used North Cascade volcano with an estimated 4,000-5,000 climbers attempting to reach its summit each year. The Coleman and Easton glaciers are the most heavily used climbing routes with peak weekends recording more than 200 climbers each. Thousands of hikers also use the mountain's approach trails and dispersed campsites, adding to physical and biological impacts on its slopes.

In cooperation with the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, we're pleased to launch Mountain Stewards, a new stewardship program that will train adult volunteers in low-impact recreation skills, natural history and backcountry management. This summer, on weekends from July 26 through August 18, the volunteers must commit to three days of educating hikers and climbers along trails and at base camps en route to the Easton and Coleman glaciers. Shifts will take place during daytime hours, Friday through Sunday. Volunteers must be skilled in hiking and outdoor recreation, including snow travel, but will not be required to travel on technical climbing routes.

If you're an experienced hiker with a passion for protecting wild places, learn more about becoming a Mountain Steward. Call us at 360-856-5700 ext. 209 or email nci@ncascades.org.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Greenies with guns!" ?? Doesn't sound plausable. What if an "unauthorized" climber ( one who hasn't paid their $30 volcano country club membership) told them to F-off and walked away? Would they get a bullet in the back? wink.gif" border="0 By the way; I carry no ID and am a bit hard-of-hearing when I climb Mt Baker.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

Great! More people to interrupt me to make sure I'm packing my shit off of the mountain, while the FS doesn't seem at all concerned by the beer cans and gasoline strewn all over the Easton by the 'bielers, let alone their inability to stay off the summit plateau which is designated Wilderness.

I'm fine with people interrupting me and asking questions if they are also there to bust people for throwing pop cans along the side of the trail. As far as fee demo...volunteers should have no authority to enforce that - and I don't think they will in this case. Having more people around to educate the gumbies is not necessarily a bad thing.

enbforce what??? the fee demo program is a voluntary program to see if the feesability of paying for recreation is supported by the general public....

now if one of these volies came up and threated to ticket me cause i am exercising my right as an american to enjoy public land, he would proably find himself walking bow legged with a clip board up his ass......

they dont need more regulators or what ever title they are labled with....they need less....more eqauls more money spent, regardless of them being volies or paid employees.....this is how they justify charging money for the use of public land...these little trail gnats are just one more piece of the machine...

Fairweather:

To answre your question I think something is wrong with my computer...and i have been very busy.

I just posted this info as a way of passing it on...not supporting the program myself, in fact knowing very little about it. Just some "raw" beta for the posters. I propabply should have made that clear in my original post [big Drink]

Yes Fairweather. The mountain steward program is all about enforcement. In fact the government is building a road so that mountain stewards can drive to the base of the glacier and check peoples permits. Uncooperative climbers will be taken to jail where they will be sodomized as punishment.

Also those black helicopters really do exist. Since I like the environment, and therefore am part of the secret new order created by the UN, I can tell you that your movements are being tracked. You will be put down soon.

It's too late to run that's why I'm telling you.

The above might be true, or maybe I don't know anything about Mountain Stewards. [Wink]

i just got some inside beta on the whole mt baker stewards crap....the beta is good, that my friend now is out of a job....and they didnt tell them till it was too late. to find another well paying deforest service servitude.....

they have axed the paid position on the mountain and instead will be having volies do the work....

sounds fucked to me....

theroretically would the paid positions salary come from the parking permit?? i thought so....

well lookie another bullshit line from the man.....

[ 04-18-2002, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: erik ]