Mid sized pack recommendations

Rainierwon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Side or middle height zippers are ridiculous. If you can't find your shit with a standard top open pack then you brought too much crap or packed poorly.

For anything lager than a day pack, I've always preferred packs that provided some access to the bottom. I would find a pack without a side or middle height zipper to be a nuisance.

I've been enjoying the Gregory Exo-Series packs (I have the Ekko). The pack moves with you well, Seems to carry everything I need well (except a shovel), and is super comfy. It is a bit heavier than some, but I've had it loaded with plenty of stuff before and it didn't break my back.

My ultimate recommendation would be to go to your local gear shop and try on some stuff. I don't know where exactly you're located, but here is my run down of shops in different regions.

Portland- The Mountain Shop (US Outdoors blows)

Olympia- Alpine Experience (great selection)

Tacoma- Backpackers Supply (only REAL gear shop in town)

Seattle- Feathered Friends

Bellevue- Marmot Mtn Works

Everett- Cascade Crags

Any one of those shops will spend some time with you to find the right pack.

Alan

guide45.gif

I don't think you can find better pack than this one. Full option is 2050g but if you remove all extras it drops to 1400g.

http://www.deuter.com/cms/front_content....7a611eced284a93

Z

http://www.deuterusa.com/guide45.html

this looks like a great pack. i have been thinking about getting it for ski touring and light overnight adventures where my current 35L pack won't cut it.

Cold Cold World packs rock. I own the Chernoble and the Chaos and they both rule. Not to heavy, in fact light for what they offer. Look at the other competitors wieght and you will see just how light these things are. Not any extras that you dont need. The Chernoble is great for 2 to 3 day alpine trips and climbs real well. The Chaos has seen alot of time on Rainer and longer trips and works great. They dont have any real frame but 50# loads with the Chaos are very doable. Both have removable bivy pads. have a parter who carried 60# with the chernoble once. Looked like a gypsy with everything hanging out and clanking, it was a bit to much for that pack. He swore he shrunk by 2 inches after that trip.