How much to tip a guide?

Iapetus999

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any certified guides out there that are a little upset that RMI employees are referred to as guides? I know that some of them are aspiring to become AMGA certified, but the simple truth is that the majority are not.

I climbed the DC with a couple of new climber friends two weeks ago. I had an RMI "guide" behind me, huffing and puffing his way up to the flats. Neither I or the other people on my rope broke a sweat. Not quite the "guide" I would want on my rope.

On that note, I would like to thank RMI for making a trough for us to follow to the summit.

How much should I tip my RMI guide on my summit climb this week?

Or another way of saying it:

How grateful should I be to my guide for helping to haul my sorry ass up the side of a big-ass mountain? confused.gif

You might want to think of this more in terms of how grateful you'll be if he/she saves your ass from getting hurt. I'm met a few guides, and most know their shit and have been very helpful even though I wasn't a client. In general, they don't get paid very well, and they do it because they love their sport and sharing that love with a newb like you. Keep in mind the guide outfit gets most of the fees you pay. My $0.02, I wouldn't feel bad about tipping them well.

At www.mountainguide.com we rape you at the till. Females leave 100% fulfilled. All male clients are put in thier place and emotionaly raped. Don't bother tipping us we tip ourselves. All guide get paid what their worth. Tip them, thats your choice, they certianly don't expect it. You already paying $500 CND a day thats enough.

Edited by jmckay