[TR] Shasta- Hotlum-Wintun 8/13/2005

JoeMack

Climb: Shasta-Hotlum-Wintun

Date of Climb: 8/13/2005

Trip Report:

Went down to Shasta from the Eugene area, leaving around 7:15am on Saturday. Went down via route 97 which was a nice alternate to to Hwy 5. Got to the Brewer Creek trailhead about 12:30 or so and got on the trail a little before 2 after having lunch, finishing packing, and figuring out the permit situation (2 permits needed: wilderness (free) and summit ($15)).

The Brewer Creek trail is dusty and mellow. Still plenty of wildflowers out. We made it to a nice campsite climbers left of the trail near one of the gullies that still had snow (maybe 8500 ft). After setting up camp we took a few runs on a nice little pitch near camp. Hit the sack early. We enjoyed watching a bunch of shooting stars after the alarm awoke us at 4:30am. Started climbing slightly after sunrise. We used crampons and carried the skis as the snow was hard. We kept the crampons on until the summit, even though the snow had softened for the most part.

Here's a photo of the route we climbed and skied

3997Ski_Route-med.JPG

We climbed in shorts and the weather was fabulous: a slight breeze would cool us off every few minutes. I did pretty well with the sunscreen and didn't get a burn, but I think I did get a sunburn on the roof of my mouth. Weird.

The last 1500 feet was on some nasty snow and made the climbing difficult. Big runnels/penitentes with some water ice patches here and there. Summited aroun 12:30 and left the summit just after 1:00pm. Here's a view looking down our descent route from just below the summit.3997HPIM0763-med.JPG

The top wasn't as tough skiing as I feared due to the softness, although we did a bit of sideslipping in some of the radiator fin like snow. There were a couple of short carries across the ridges and down lower to get to the gully near our camp. Here's a buddy getting some nice August corn.3997HPIM0770-med.JPG

Made it back to camp at 3:00; we figured we got about 5500 ft of vertical. We packed up, relaxed a bit and then headed back down the trail. Got out of the trailhead parking lot at 5:30 and back in to town at 10:30.

Gear Notes:

Skis, crampons

• 9 years later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic