Twin Sisters

JERRY_SANCHEZ

I'm in Deming right now, about 10 miles from the Sisters. The snow level is quite low, and the six mile logging road is rather shady. You'd find bare road for something less than a mile, then snow to the summit. I soloed the West Ridge of N. Twin in Febuary (descended the S. Face gully), and I hiked for 15 minutes before I donned the skis.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haul a sled?Have fun?

Sorry, but those two phrase can't exist in the same post.

Necro's advice on the sisters is pretty good. He's a sheep descrotumizer in Deming, and has a good handle on his Twin Sistometer for mountain snow conditions. They're like his giant weather rock.

Hello everyone

Does anyone have any beta on the Twin Sisters near Mt. Baker? I know you have to hike up a logging road for 6 miles because the gate is lock but I'm thinking of taking a Mtn. Bike. Just wonder if the road is snowed in still and wonder how the conditons is like up there....

Thanks for any input

They are correct there is still alot of snow at lower elevations currently though improving. I went in to do the route recently and found the snow conditions a little sloppy. Don't bother with the bike for a few weeks because the road is covered with snow shortly after the gate. Skis are a good idea though. Good luck. I live just of few miles from this hike and almost climb it weekly during the summer its my Mt. Si boring but good arobic training.

quote:

Originally posted by Eric taylor:
Trask:Do you know if you can get a car to Barlow pass yet? You made it to Lake 22, which is a ways in on the mountain loop highway. We want to climb Monte Cristo Peak, but may have to wait a while for this snow to melt to get to Barlow pass parking lot.

As of last Sunday, the road was closed two miles before Big 4/ice caves. Still too early for Barlow Pass. I do know of a cabin occupied by two beautious hoochie mamas that like to PARTAAY...mile marker 23.

cool.gif" border="0

There are also tons of trees down across mtn loop hwy. Like about 20-30 in the few miles between the closure and sunrise mine road. So you'll have to wait for the snow to melt *and* the trees to be cleared (which will probably happen when the snow melts? [big Drink] )

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: philfort ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eric taylor:
Trask:Do you know if you can get a car to Barlow pass yet? You made it to Lake 22, which is a ways in on the mountain loop highway. We want to climb Monte Cristo Peak, but may have to wait a while for this snow to melt to get to Barlow pass parking lot.

trask is hardcore and stops at nothing...he treads where he wants, when he wants.....

trask is alpine!!!

Mt. Loop Highway usually doesn't get plowed much, they pretty much wait for it to melt out on it's own. I don't think you'll be able to get out to Barlow Pass before late May/early June, maybe later. Sunrise Mine Rd. seems to take even longer. mad.gif" border="0 That's one of my favorite areas to head out to, and in a high snowfall year like this one it's gonna be a while.

• 3 weeks later...