The "Heat Wave" thread

Alex

This thread is dedicated to all the crap you didnt do this weekend because it was too damn hot!! Me? Tried an alpine climb and should have heeded the words "strenuous approach". Ass kicked, not enuff food or water. We had a nice evening out anyway, no bugs.

Summer is over, bring on the freeze.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer is over, bring on the freeze.

I agree--it's too damn hot. I went climbing up the Icicle Saturday and got a nice toasty (more like tomatoey) sunburn on my shoulders and arms. After only 2.5 hours in the sun. The rock was hot to the touch.

Give me blue skies and 65 degrees, and I couldn't be happier.

fuck, dude. that post was up for like 3 seconds before i zapped it. quit pounding the refresh button so god damn much.

tomtom hit the nail on the head. you guys are a bunch of limp wristed fuckwads for thinking 87 degrees is hot and not going climbing cuz of it. wtf? sounds like the PNW is getting to be the pansy capitol of the world these days.

PNW climber: "I can't climb cuz...."

"it's too rainy this weekend" cry.gif

"it's too hot this weekend" cry.gif

"it's too cold this weekend" cry.gif

"the sun is out. i might get sunburn!" cry.gif

"mama...burp me!" cry.gif

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif that's all i hear! whaaaa.

wtf? are you fags serious?

I agree, it is hot as hell. Luckly I've made my destinations have alpine lakes located along the way.

TomTom, I spent my first 21 years in Miami and Atlanta , but I've completely acclimated the other way now. I used to need to wear a jacket in 60-degree weather and could bike for hours in 95-degree weather.

i spent over 2/3 of my life living in chicago. one summer over 700 people died from the heat and humidity, over 110 degrees for a week solid. lots of brownouts. that same winter it was negitive 70 degrees out and i saw a tree explode.

quit bitching. go climbing.

70 below, eh? The coldest temperature ever recorded in the 48 was 69.7 below and it was at Rogers Pass in MT. tongue.gif The record temperature for *anywhere* in Illinois was -36 on Jan 5, 1999.

Sorry, just had to do it. smile.gif

But seriously, what the fuck are you guys bitching about? Oh no, it's warm out. rolleyes.gif Just learn from my Index experience and go somewhere that actually has water. smile.gif

Saturday - Goodell Creek Trail - ASS WHOOPING

Sunday - Inspiration Icefall - ASS WHOOPING

Sunday night - Goodell Creek Trail - ASS WHOOPING

I think there should be a new law that all trailheads must start over 3,000 feet. I just love hiking in 90 degree humid jungle for 7 hours with a big pack up a brutal steep trail.

well, i said the hell with the heat and climbed Silent Running at 3 o'clock rock yesterday... started by 9, and cruised up. It was a bit toasty by the time we got down, and towards the top the rubber was not sticking quite so well. Great climb, wish it would have just kept going. Going to hop on total soul next time.

We found some climbing to do that wasn't too hot. wink.gif

I spent 3 years working outdoors in CO, and I can say that the PNW doesn't have extreme heat or cold. However we do have an excess of moderate weather which makes adapting to anything verging on hot or cold harder to deal with. I know after 3 months of 90+ temps in CO I could deal with it (sort of wink.gif)

PS Mike Layton the wind chill scale is something sissys talk about. tongue.gif

I had a great day yesterday up on the S. Side of Baker overlooking the Deming glacier. However, on the way down, I ran into all kinds of people grinding their way up to Park Butte or the meadows at 3:00 in the afternoon. They were sweating puddles, being consumed by flies and in general looking completely miserable and grouchy. I can just imagine their impression of the backcountry: "Oh hiking? yeah I tried that. It's awful, hot, too many flies, etc." My question: why do so many people start so late in the day? It's nuts!

I spent 3 years working outdoors in CO, and I can say that the PNW doesn't have extreme heat or cold. However we do have an excess of moderate weather which makes adapting to anything verging on hot or cold harder to deal with.

that's about it. there's a reason most people around here don't have a/c - 'cause we don't generally need it except for maybe a handful of days every summer. this summer has sure seemed like it's had many more "hot" days than is typical.