Best shop to buy boots from in Oly-Seattle area?

gwhayduke

I'm looking for a pair of leather boots (or plastics if I can't find any that fit me well), but I just moved to Washington a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure where to start.

Has anyone had any great experiences at a smaller store with really knowledgeable and friendly employees?

Thanks. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of smaller stores to try:

Marmot Mountain Works, Bellevue -- I've bought a few pairs of boots here.

Feathered Friends, Seattle -- known for their down bags, jackets, etc., but I bought a pair of plastic boots there many moons ago. Worth checking out.

Pro Mountain Sports, Seattle -- never been, but owned by Jim Nelson, co-author of the "Selected Climbs in the Cascades" guide books; good reputation.

HTH.

True, but heck, I went to the Alderwood Mall REI to look at leather climbing boots? They didn't carry a single pair. Only climbing boots they had were one kind of plastic boot. WTF?!

If you go the REI route, go to the "flagship" store in Seattle.

That said, I did just buy a pair of rock shoes at REI, because they were the closest store, and maybe the only one open on a Friday night. I'm actually going to be returning them b/c they didn't work well--they didn't make me a better climber. wink.gif

I've been impressed with Alpine Ex in olympia for their selection, But I think their service kinda sucks. A bit further north is Backpackers Supply in Tacoma. I used to work there, and I would have said, come see me. I would say pop in and see Aaron or Rob there. They both do some climbing. Aaron is more alpine, while Rob is more rock and aid. Both are pretty damn knowledgeable. They have (had?) the Trango Extreme Evo in stock, kick ass boot if it fits you.

Good Luck!