Darrington/Leavenworth Anytime this week/weekend

Dirtyleaf

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The climbs at Darrington are mostly 4-10 pitches on low angled granite. It is definitely "subalpine" but the overall experience is more like alpine rock climbing than typical crag climbs. The area is remote and beautiful.

It tends toward slab climbing but there is face climbing and the occasional crack as well, often with long runouts on easier sections of any given climb but well-protected at the crux's. Descents are via rappel, and two ropes are generally needed. 5.5 to 5.12.

We waged a successful campaign to have the road reopened after it was temporarily closed this past Spring, and I think it'd be great for more people to get out there and explore this remarkable climbing area. My guess is that we can assemble a couple of interested climbers here.

I went to Darrington for the 1st time last weekend - definitely a nice spot and I'll definitely be back. Just wanted to say "thanks" to MattP and others who may have helped with the effort to maintain access to the area. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

-Todd

I went to Darrington for the 1st time last weekend - definitely a nice spot and I'll definitely be back. Just wanted to say "thanks" to MattP and others who may have helped with the effort to maintain access to the area. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

-Todd

What did you climb?

Its still looking good"

FRIDAY NIGHT...CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL 15000 FEET. WIND IN THE PASSES LIGHT.

SATURDAY...SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL 15000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER TO MID 70S. WIND IN THE PASSES LIGHT.

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL 14000 FEET.

SUNDAY...SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL 13000 FEET.

SUNDAY NIGHT...CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL 12000 FEE

Any more takers?

0209-1055sm3.jpg

I'm planning on camping along the Blueberry road and heading out from there. I've got a partner for Jacobs Ladder on Saturday and had a tentative one for Dreamer on Sunday, but there's plenty else of interest up there. Let's see who responds by tomorrow and make some kind of game plan.