GPS Coordinates.....

Crampon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of your nav expertise (no disrespect is intended), but think of this as a good oppt'y to practice some map skills.

Using your map, plot your own GPS coord (UTM, lat/long, etc. - pick your pref) of known, fixed locations (e.g., top of DC). Once you have those points - check them against a reliable source. You'll get your coords and get some practice.

The coords can help but they won't do much to help w/routefinding.

I wanted to find other good UTM's, or GPS Coordinates on Mt Rainier....Like significant places,...eg...Summit, turn offs...etc.....

I already have the UTM's for Muir, PC, And Paradise from the NPS link.....

Thank you

Good god; what's up with modern climbers. All you need is a map and a compass. You could take a GPS too; that would make things easier.

LEARN HOW TO NAVIGATE BEFORE YOU GO TO MUIR

Maybe you need to take your mom along. She could hold your hand as you descend from Muir. shocked.gif

Good god; what's up with modern climbers. All you need is a map and a compass. ...[snip]

...and an altimeter if you want to be damn sure. But you're right - sighting fall lines with your compass and comparing it to your topo will get you pretty damn close.

GPSs are a nice backup on a glacier in a whiteout or when a cloudcap engulfs you. But other than that, they're a freakin' waste of time. How many times you folks out there heard this...

"Oh wait... I only have 2 satellites. Oh, wait. There's three. Oh... just lost that one. Hmmm... do you really think we're at 3,050 ft? (When you're actually at 5210 ft.) Oh... that third satellite just came ba... nevermind. Hmmm. What did your altimeter say again?..."

Yup... instills such confidence in new fangled gadgetry.

Ok... done with my rant.

-kurt

Basic map & compass skills should come before you ever look at a GPS. Nevertheless, if you insist on taking shortcuts I suggest leaving the unit turned on from the parking lot and leaving a data track for you to follow back in the event you get fogged in. At the very least, mark every major change in direction with an on-site waypoint.

Generally, I DO trust the little gadgets above treeline. This is where they seem most reliable. Bring extra batteries. If you're following your GPS on a whited-out descent you must trust your device and overcome your innate desire to follow your (likely poor) instincts. This isn't as easy as it sounds. Follow the track/pointer. Kinda like flying through a storm instruments only, I suppose.

Take an orienteering course before you become frozen meat somewhere on/in Paradise Glacier.

Im sorta poor money wise, and Id like to perhaps learn through some people here if they have time......Hint?

I do admit, I know I need to learn this before I become another SAR example......

So coming from a guy with no cash.......

.......Can anyone here help me learn it.....?

Please?