Beginner's alpine climbs...

scheissami

Hey, gang:

I just finished my first alpine-style climb a few days ago with a hike up Mt. Adams. That's the highest elevation I've been so far, and although the climb wasn't technical, I definitely got worked.

I was wondering if any of yous had some recs for climbs of similar difficulty (i.e.--no belaying, no ropes, just ice ax, cramps and maybe some scrambling). I live in Portland, so most of the Cascades have potential for day-tripping.

Appreciate any input. Cheers!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

S.Sister, Middle Sister can be a scramble. You should get the 75 scrambles in oregon book. Has some alpine climbs that are not technical. There is a few in the N. Cascades. Nothing to the extend of S. climb on Adams. Did that one twice this year! One day was killer!

Definitely mt. hood

I once climbed the hogback route on Hood in August and discovered for myself why the "regular climbing season" there ends in July. The Pearly Gates aren't so pearly, it's all crappy scree up near the summit, but the real reason is in late summer that area above the bergschrund is a bowling alley and you are the pins! From the number of rocks lying around on the snow, and the size of some of them, plus the ones I saw come down (missed me!! nyahhh!!), I wouldn't recommend Hood in August to anyone, especially a noob. tongue.gif But next June, by all means go get it! smile.gif