Drama on Nanga Parbat

Tomaz Humar is stranded in small snow cave at 5900m. Rescue teams are not able to reach him due to bad weather. He is running out of food and supplies. He is injured but able to move his arm.

Here is link to site (it's on Sovenian) and if you need translation just let me know. I can translate comments for you daily.

http://www.humar.com/index.php

Z

Edited by Zoran

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomaz contacted base camp last night!

Today is his 6-th day in snow cave at about 6000m (18000ft). Space is very small, about one square metar and he cannot move a lot because of high exposure and avalanche danger. His toes are getting blue and rescue is requested despite of bad weather. Yesterday for a moment small patch of blue sky appeared but again fog is covering upper part of the face.

20050805181419_128_1.jpg

20050805181419_128_2.jpg

The link above has a english version. just click on "english" near the top left.

A recent dispatch:

"Dear Slovenians,

It's nice to hear you're writting to me and my friends from base camp keep forwarding those messages to me - many of you would like to help, to donate money.

I'm thankful for every warm thought, and fist clenching. Yesterday, they read me an e-mail sent by a little girl, who is praying for my safe retun from the mountain. And I had an idea, as we are all united here as brothers and not foes, therefore I hearby address this appeal to you, to finally remove this sin from our chests and build the paediatric clinic. My friends will open a transparent account, where all transactions will be traced and visible, so we can see how much money we will be able to raise, for our children's better future. Let's build the clinic, let's open our hearts and hands, I'm glad we're are all as one again - united. Thank you again for being with me with heart and soul, it gives me confidence and the idea of being united keeps me warm.

Another night awaits me. I'll be freezing, and I haven't eaten in days ...

But let's do this and make it happen - I'm already grateful for our children's better tomorrow.

Thank you.

by Tomaž Humar, mountaineer"

20050807113727_146_1.jpg

He is still there.

Rainhold Messner is involved in rescue as an advisor. They think that hanging rope from helicopter is the best way to go.

Nazir Kabir is involved in the rescue too.

Edited by Zoran

Tough night

9.8.05 07:02 CET

It was raining all night long, and in the morning it began to pour as if it were judgement day. Tomaž called in around 8:30 am. The fifth nigh in the icy trap was challeging. "If the weather stays like this, I won't be able to hold on for much longer, this is not a biouvac anymore, it's pouring all over me, and everything is freezing!" It was -5C at night - in his sleeping bag! To keep warm he trys to move around as much as possible, he was fighting the snow all night long which was narrowing down his living space. The doctor, Anda, advises him to keep drinking as much much warm fluids (melted snow/water or tea) as possible, as dehydration accelerates frostbite. But Tomaž told us yesterday that he drinks less than a litre of fluids a day! It's difficult to cook in that small space he is in, and his gas supply is low to - he's burning the last tank.

He asked if the weather forecast promises some improvement. The clouds are already breaking over the bas camp and the view of the mountain is slowly unfolding. At the moment the visibility is up to 4500m. The forecast is promissing. It should stabilize in the early morning, and Wednesday and Thursday should have clear skies. But we have to make notice that this weather report for Nanga Parbat means clarity from 5-8 am, therefore we will have to hurry up with the rescue. A promise was given that a LAMA helicopter with the best trained Pakistani pilot will arrive at base camp as soon as the weather improves and then we will only have to wait for a clear view of the rock wall.

We receive a lot of encouraging e-mails for Tomaž. Now when he longs for warm thoughts and words we can read him the majority of them - almost every one - Anda keeps reading the heart-touching messages to him till late night. And I let him know how the humanitarian appeal is coming along. The response was unbelievable - amazing what kind of ideas one can have, trapped in a life threatning situation.