[TR] Adams- South (dog) 7/31/2005

chinook2

Climb: Adams-South (dog)

Date of Climb: 7/31/2005

Trip Report:

A little late posting the TR but it's been a hectic week. The conditions on the southern route are fine. You'll be on snow from just below the lunch counter to the top.

It's tough not to notice the odor of human habitation at the lunch counter. Some people were actually taking water from the tarn forming to the west and below - yikes!

Got to it at about 4:30 am. The neve' was in shape with good crampon conditions. Later in the day, I spoke with a group without crampons that turned back.

The glissade chute was a bit icy above about 11,000 ft at 8:30 but had good standing glissade conditions below for most of the way down. Some of the glacier ice is showing as the snow continues to disappear.

IMHO****************

You can add my voice to those calling for an improvement to the sanitary conditions at the lunch counter. There are just too many people polluting the area at this altitude. I think it's time to build an outhouse and concentrate the impact. All of the stone wind walls makes opposition to building a structure ridiculous.

8994Adams_Shadow_with_St_Helens-med.jpg8994Pikers_from_west_of_the_counter-med.jpg8994Pikers_from_the_North-med.jpg8994Adams_Route_Finding-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Crampons

Ice Axe

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One more vote for an outhouse. You will find a cleaner area if you make a right once you get up to the lunch counter and hike south for alittle bit down on suksdorf ridge. thats the winter route and it has some nice shelters and people are usally to tired to go that direction.