may take up alpine touring/ski mountaineering

mountaineer38

I am an intermediate alpine skier, and a mountaineer. If my trips from Florida will mainly be to Rainier and the Cascades is the investment in AT gear worth the expense? I'm worried that AT boots would be painful to climb in versus a normal pair of mountaineering boots. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, David

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i'm sure you've read that AT boots are neither great skiers nor hikers. but in the right conditions, skinning is most certainly nicer than hiking! carrying downhill ski gear sucks but it's do-able and makes the skiing much easier. (you might also need snowshoes, though.) skiing in hiking boots - well, i wouldn't go there myself but there are people who do.

how much and what kind of climbing/skiing do you really intend to do? and single or multiple day outings?

I have always found my AT boots (Garmont Mega Ride, Dynafit TLT 700) to be much more comfortable than my climbing boots - the thermoflex liner is the way to go.

If you plan on skiing off the peaks and enjoy climbing on skis then I think it is worth the expense. If you wont be on skis much then its a harder sell.

fwiw - my AT boots (and for that matter, my tele boots) are considerably more comfortable for hiking and climbing than my plastic mountaineering boots (old Kolfax). The AT boots are Dynafits with g-fit liners, the teles are Crispis with intuitions. I can use lampoons on either of the ski boots (even climbed a little easy water ice in the Dynafits), don't mind hiking a ways up a trail, and can use the liners for hut boots. of course YMMV

What is the point of slogging up a volcano if you can't ski down?

If my trips from Florida will mainly be to Rainier and the Cascades is the investment in AT gear worth the expense?

It depends on how much you'll be travelling to the northwest. There are plenty of places around that will rent you AT gear. If you're lugging stuff from home, some airlines will charge you to check your skis, you risk damage, etc. If it's only a couple of times a year, it's probably more worthwhile to rent gear.

• 4 weeks later...