best lightweight backpacking shelter?

wind_river51

im inbetween the sierra designs lightyear at 2lb 11oz and the mountain hardware waypoint one at 2lb 8oz ...

my buddy has a hammock tent but it seems pretty uncomfortable and silly

has anyone used these tents or know of a better one? or used one of thsoe lightweight backpackers tarps?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BD firstlight tent--weighs 2 lbs. 7 oz. without the optional clip on vestibule. I think with it the weight is something like 3 lbs. 6 oz. Anyway, it's a great single wall tent, especially if you like to do trips by yourself. If you're alone, don't bring the vestibule and you've got this huge tent to yourself, but if you need the extra room for gear, you've always got the vestibule. Since it's a single wall, it's not always the best for cold, wet nights (actually, the condensation is worst on the tent poles, since the tent pitches from the inside). Anyway, I'm pretty happy with mine.

I've got a BD betalight. It's wicked light (like the name implies) and packs down quite small. I've used it in winds up to about 25 mph and it's pretty stable. Bugs can get in, but sewing or gluing some screen along the hem of the thing would keep them out and give you something to pile snow on to further anchor the tent. More than any other big item (sleeping bag, stove, pack) it has really let me go light. I'll never use a tent again below treeline.

After having many climb partners refuse to share my floorless Megamid, I purchased a sil-nylon tent from Wanderlust Gear. It is supported by two trekking poles, and so packed weight is a mere 2 lbs. It is great for 3 season camping below the tree line, may not be strong enough to resist high winds above treeline. See website: http://www.wanderlustgear.com/

Check out Henry Shires Tarp Tent

http://www.tarptent.com/

The Virga 2 with sewn in floor is about 30 ounces. This is one of the more / most popular shelters with PCT thru hikers, which, in the main, are total ounce nazis. If pitched properly (foot into the wind) it'll hold up in 30MPH breezes quite nicely. Also does well in the rain. An advantage of this particular shelter vs other tarps without any bug netting is that it's about 99.5% bug proof - one or two might get thru when they're swarming outside. Sets up in a couple of minutes - not too difficult. You can use trekking pole(s) in lieu of the front shelter pole (and save the ounce or two). Highly recommended.

I own a Wanderlustgear 2-4-2 tent. A great 3 season 2lb tent. Decent size for two huge for solo and gear. There has been problems with ordering recently.May be out of business.People on another board have complaints of giving deposits and not getting their tents.

Another good lightweight tent option is:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

Have heard alot of good things about the manufacturer and his products. The Luner solo looks very tempting. I have seen a few of his models in the Sierras as well as the Tarptents. Both look pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using an 8x10 silnylon sheet tarp for a few years now and for backpacking I wouldn't use anything else. It weighs 14 oz.,can fit 3 people underneath it and for one person it is a comfortable fortress. There are no problems with condensation, you and your gear will stay drier and more comfortable when its raining compared to a tent/bivy sack. You can use rocks and trees and sticks to set it up anywhere. When its wet you simply shake it off or use a chamois to wipe it down and stick it on the outside of your pack. It is extremely versatile. There are endless configurations you can set it up in for any type of terrain and weather. It is also cheap.(I got mine for $85). thumbs_up.gif

The Integral Designs Sil-Shelter has worked well for me. It has a lower and more stable profile than the Black Diamond Beta-Light. It also has more usable guy points. They have an optional bug net as well. It’s done year round duty for me and been very pleasant. I also have a hammock, you should give it a try.