[TR] Los Galayos, Spain- Torreon, Punta Maria Luisa, Pequeno Galayo 8/2/2005

Climb: Los Galayos, Spain-Torreon, Punta Maria Luisa, Pequeno Galayo

Date of Climb: 8/2/2005

Trip Report:

Los Galayos is a spectacular alpine granite climbing area outside of Madrid. There are over a hundred different spires to climb with routes ranging fron 5.0 to 5.13c. I´m not big on writting super involved TR´s, so here are some photos.

292IMG_1051_25_1-med.JPG

The approach.

292IMG_1048_22_1-med.JPG

Spain alpine style. One thing that I learned quickly here is that people eat well. I have always learned to pack light, but having dinner in the refugio consisting of freeze dried pasta gave me many bad looks from the Spainards, especially from the chica. One guy said, ¨we eat good here.¨ And that is true. the huge packs I see people hiking up with are full of a small thin rope, small rack, bread, steaks, lettuce, muffins, milk....

292IMG_1054_27_1-med.JPG

The welcoming crew.

292IMG_1028_2_1-med.JPG

Los Galayos. The Torreon is the Spire in the middle.

292IMG_1057_30_1-med.JPG

Elena on the first 5.8 pitch on the Grand Dihedral on Punta Maria Luisa.

292IMG_1075_48_1-med.JPG

Me on the 5.10d Grand Dihidral

292IMG_1085_58_1-med.JPG

The Pequeno Galayo.

292IMG_1078_51_1-med.JPG

Elena leading the crux pitch on the Pequeno Galayo.

292IMG_1087_60_1-med.JPG

Me leading the super big chimeny OW on the Geronimo Lopez Dihidral, Pequeno Galayo.292IMG_1095_68_1-med.JPG

Helicopter Rescue of a climber that broke his ankle several pitches up one of the spires.

292IMG_1092_65_1-med.JPG

The refugio.

Gear Notes:

Standard rack to 3.

Approach Notes:

A long way from the Cascades. About 2 hours drive from Madrid.

Edited by TimL

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most climbs are 6 to 9 pitches. The area is very nice in the sense it is traditional. Not many bolts to be found.

Juan - Dread will come later in winter, there are a lot of cool alpine routes in the gullies, also I´ll be visiting the Alps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tim, looks like a great area. So my gf and I are going to have a week free down in southern France for climbing. I am in charge of orgainizing that part of our trip. You guys free sometime in the end of Sept. early Oct? I was thinking the Mediterrain coast. Any suggestions?

Why climb in France? Too many frenchies to deal with. Good chance we might be free around that time period. Maybe we can hook up someplace? The Mediterrain Coast? Try Montserrat. Close to Barcelona. I just came from there today. Great place with awesome climbing on some very weird rock. Conglomerate. Great sport climbing. Also there is a lot of easy and hard multipitch routes anywhere from 3 - 10 pitches. I´ll post some pictures soon. On the bigger walls, the north facing routes, expect traditionally bolted climbs with good run outs.

Well Tim we will have a car and will be in Toulouse right before our climbing part of the vacation. So I am up for anything just would like to go to an area and climb. We will be traveling with a sporto rack to keep luggage weight down. Let me find out the dates we will be free for climbing.

Well Tim we will have a car and will be in Toulouse right before our climbing part of the vacation. So I am up for anything just would like to go to an area and climb. We will be traveling with a sporto rack to keep luggage weight down. Let me find out the dates we will be free for climbing.

I plan to be in Toulouse in the second half of September. Are you going to post the dates you are going to be there? Maybe you guy's don't mind another team (safety in numbers and all thathahaha.gif )?