mt. hood via south side hogsback 8-10-05ish

plark42

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think hood would wear me out... I kinda want to do shuksan too but I'm not sure about the summit scramble... I've heard everything from easy class 3 to class 4 with hairy 5 moves... we'll see.. either way we should do a mountain that weekend.. I dont really care which one.. (shuksan just seems cool cause it's different!!)

mt. hood hte following wed? perhaps... I am taking the GRE that friday aug 19th so.. it depends on how prepared I am for that..

need to flip a coin for adams. vs. shuksan.

Which mountian are we doing? This is Scotty by the way. I might be able to do Hood with you Marc. Then go for Adams or Shuksan, Shuksan still sounds like a bit of a bushwack unless we go through the fischer chimneys, which I don't think you guys, or me for that matter, are really up to. We'll see. Have you got a bivy sack thatcher? Are we going to descend the South Spur, or back down the Mazama? i.e. are we carry our gear to piker's peak? I'll let you know if I can make it Marc.

-Scotty

lets just settle for adams. i want an enjoyable approach...or atleast semi enjoyable. maybe ill do shuksan another time.

and i would rather go up mazama and down south spur. as you know, going down steep snow on foot isnt my cup 'o tea, but glissading on the other hand is great. so the catch with doing that is that we have to approach from the south climb lot rather than the reservation. but I am fine with that. its worth the easy route down. and i dont have a bivy, but i can probably get ahold of one from a friend. if not, i still think its fine to just deal with the weight going up with a tent split between two people.

anyways, now we are way off topic.

We could try to do the Mazama in a day, we wouldn't be carrying much that way, then glissade down the south spur. Then we could go climb Hood as well. I think I'd rather push it hard one day than have to carry a full pack, remember baker, up to at least 9,000ft then glissade with it (I don't know how low we'll be able to glissade to). I love to get both of them in. Maybe rest one day in between. Anway Marc if I do hood it would have to be close to when we do Adams because I think it would be ridiculous for me to go down come back then go down again. Do you guys think the Mazama is doable in one day?

-Scotty

It's doable... i mean everything's doable... it would certainly be a LONG day... we would have to leave the cold springs at 11 pm and hike through the night- in my experience, hiking all night like that leads to disaster the next day- combination of fatigue, dehydration etc... (especially with glaciers..)

if we are going to do an all day push- I would prefer to do the south spur route or even hogsback up hood (def 1 day long)...<or both> I'm not sure I would feel comfortable doing a glacier climb after an all day/night hike (we need to be on top of our shit for glacier climbing).

let me know... if we want to go light.. we might as well leave the rope, pulleys, harnesses, prussiks, slings, carabiners and pickets at home- that's most of the weight anyways...

I'd be down to do adams via south spur on friday and then hood via hogsback on sunday..

again let me know!!!