Mt. Shuksan summit pyramid- how difficult is it?

plark42

Hello CC'ers-

I am planning a trip with a few buddies to climb mt. Shuksan via the Sulphide glacier. I wanted to know

1) what the summit scramble is like (difficulty, exposure, etc)

and 2) what condition the glacier is in right now..

I have heard all sorts of different opinions about the summit scramble from easy class 3 gully to difficult sections of exposed low grade class 5 moves.

Any pictures or info would be extremely helpful

Thanks!! fruit.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you try to climb it really early season (like say, May) it is VERY steep snow. Totally shut my partner and I down after we had no problems on the North Face. I haven't been up there when it's dry rock.

BTW: It's not necessary to post the same question in both the NC forum and the CB forum.

yeah i had to guide that fucker in april!

screw that bullshit, i herded em to camp and said avy conditions were bad...waited...and got my measely $150. No way would i get paid that to herd folks up in winter with absolutely no experience.

that said, super easy in summer. no problem. do it, thousands of other have!

If you try to climb it really early season (like say, May) it is VERY steep snow. Totally shut my partner and I down after we had no problems on the North Face. I haven't been up there when it's dry rock.

BTW: It's not necessary to post the same question in both the NC forum and the CB forum.

Yeah, if you enjoy steep snow climbing, it was definitely steep in May when I did it. Perfect ass neve, and actually a very cool (and spicy) snow chimney to get on to the summit proper. That was one of the few snow pitches I have protected. It was fun tho! smile.gif

4th class up the middle or climber's left; low fifth if you take the right skyline. When we did it last, via Fisher Chimneys last Aug., I stayed right behind my wife and we used no rope. If someone is above you, consider a different line or be diligent about looking and listening.

Good luck,

John Sharp