Alpine Touring Stuff

sweatinoutliquor

Okay, my alpine boots are getting thrashed, and I'm thinking about replacing them with AT boots (I'm sick of carrying skies and boots on the pack, rediculas weight). I was wondering if y'all can help me out with this stuff. What's the gig with these boots? Are they just lighter? Are they designed so that you can climb in them? Can I use them in replacement of regular alpine boots (like cruising Bachlor crud all day)? What boots are good? I was thinking about Garmont G-rides, but am way to underinformed to make a good descision here. And while we are at it, how about bindings with releasing heels? confused.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but did get my first AT setup two seasons ago after a long career on an alpine setup. I have the Scarpa Lasers, and Fritschi Freerides mounted on K2 T9X. I tried every combo of AT skis with AT boots, with alpine boots, and both boots with the alpine setup. The AT boots with the AT skis was by far the best combo for me. The AT boots are a dream to ski with, very comfortable and warm. The only thing I find difficult with the AT stuff WRT skiing on ski area snow (as opposed to natural) is ice. In icy conditions, the heft of the regular alpine gear comes in way handy. Otherwise though, the AT stuff really rocks the dome.

Generally, AT boots are significantly lighter and more flexible than alpine. Most have a walk function that allows for more flex at the ankle. They also come with rubber boot soles, usually Vibram. Also the liners are warmers and many lace up. However they are always evolving and now there is a wider range to choose from then ever. You can climb in them but there is much less flexibility and they are heavier than a pair of plastic climbing boots. They have a big duckbill on the front but most will take a crampon. However all this flexibility and light weight comes at the obvious price of downhill performance. The lighter and easier the boot is to tour in the less forgiving it will be on the down hill. If you find yourself leaning back alot in your alpine boots, then you better work on your stance before you switch. The Garmont Adrenaline would be a good choice if you want a do it all boot. It is a 4 buckle boot (most AT boots are 3) and very stiff. Still not as stiff as an alpine racing boot, but way stiffer than most AT. Once again though, you have a heavier and stiffer boot, so not ideal if you take it on a 5 day ski tour.

Whatever you do, get out and rent a couple different pairs. Boots like the Scarpa Denali's and the Garmont Adrenaline's ski more like alpine boots, but still are not as stiff. The Scarpa Lasers (I think they're called Matrxi now) are a nice compromise between weight and performance. I have an old pair of Nordica TR12's. They are great for touring and most skiing, but when I get on anything steeper than 40 degress, or in some crud, I really with I had a stiffer boot.

Okay, great input folks! I will try some stuff on and maybe try to take it up to the hill before I buy it. Jkeller, believe it or not, I do tele ski as well, but I guess I need to face reality... I have been skiing for 20 years now, 4 of which includes tele, and I still can't do nearly the same crap with my tele skis. I just broke my tele boots as well, so right now I am looking at a massive ski boot related financial loss. I figured I would start with the alpine stuff first and then get the tele squared away. bigdrink.gif

AT boots are always a compromise. If you stiffen them up, you may be paying for it on the tour. If you are a good skier in the resort, you will notice the difference, in part because of how snug you tend to fit boots for taking laps at the lifts. If you are a moderate skier at the resort, you might not miss the precision that a dedicated alpine boot would provide.

The Adrenalin might be closer to a do everything boot, but since I haven't skied in it I can't say if it feels close to an alpine boot in performance at the resort. You will be happier if you choose the boots appropriate for what you do with them most, but if you have to, you can probably get by with the activity for which they are not optimized.