Flaws on the BLACK DIAMOND SHADOW 45

Airborn_69

Had 2 flaws on mine 1) One of the fastex fasteners on the 2 main compression straps let's go with very little pull. 2) Sternum strap also let go with moderate pull.

Overall a very light & good pack but was quite pissed when I was stuck in the mountains with these irrepairable flaws.

I am very pleased with their products sor far, but this one was not expected.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Shadow 55, and it's performed pretty well for me. BD probably wants to know your feedback if it's legit. They may have had a production run with a different buckle supplier and the factory may have swapped it out without their knowledge (factories'll do that.)

My only complaint with the Shadow is the bassackwards way the top lid straps clip into the pack (as opposed to the straps clipping into the lid.) It does allow the lid to convert into a mini summit pack, though.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with mine. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Toast

I'm seriously thinking about picking up the Shadow 55 for use as a summer and winter mountaineering pack.

Does the 3300 cui hold enough for 2 or three overnighters (summer and winter)? I have a habit of packing as possible so I would assume so.

Also, is the fabric strong enough to take scrapes and rubs from rock and tools? Had any problem with rips or punctures?

Thanks

I'm seriously thinking about picking up the Shadow 55 for use as a summer and winter mountaineering pack.

Does the 3300 cui hold enough for 2 or three overnighters (summer and winter)? I have a habit of packing as possible so I would assume so.

Also, is the fabric strong enough to take scrapes and rubs from rock and tools? Had any problem with rips or punctures?

I used the 55 this week for a three day trip up to Dorado Needle and Eldorado(rock/glacier.) It was just big enough for me. I stuffed a rope inside but had to strap my helmet on the outside. I had space to spare, though. I could have overpacked a few things, used the spindrift collar and extended up the top lid if I needed to. For winter, though, that might be tough (more food, more clothes, bottle of booze...)

I have a few pin pricks showing and a scuff or two, but burlier material = more weight. For the most part, I really like the Shadow 55.

Toast

Thanks

If you want that extra room option if ever??? Get the 55...no problems what so ever with the fabric & It had its share of abuse. wink.gif

I've used my 50 liter Icesac for four day trips. Hard to imagine a trip that would require a bigger pack. Remember, at home the pack always seems full. Loads compress.

I'd be worried that carrying skis and boots on the silnylon would shred it like a wet paper towel...I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know of a pack w/similar weight and volume specs that has gear loops on the waist belt?

Also, have any of you experience any problems with the top lid getting in the way of a helmet? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm not in the U.S. right now so I have no means of physically checking out gear. Your feedback is all I have until I return and can do some proper pack hunting.