Massive electric current tested in US

Thinker

Anyone remember Atlas Shrugged?

web page

Scientists at the Nevada Test Site have said they generated a current equal to roughly four times all the electrical power on Earth.

The current, which created pressures in materials millions of times greater than normal, was part of an experiment to better understand nuclear weapons.....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How 'bout this...

http://www.nv.doe.gov/news&pubs/publications/envm/pdfs/DOE_EA_1381.pdf

Or perhaps this...

http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/pa/News/092601.html

Or...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-briefs28.2jul28,1,1112054.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

I've actually found Al Jazerra to be quite informative. As long as it's not your only source!

Scientists at the Nevada Test Site have said they generated a current equal to roughly four times all the electrical power on Earth.

So... uhmm where did they do it then? Or am I missing something entirely??? confused.gif

V=IR

it was a very low voltage.

i mean, the temperature in a striking matchhead can be briefly hotter than the surface of the sun.. same deal hahaha.gif

V=IR

it was a very low voltage.

Well if the current (I) is really big, and you say the voltage (V) is very low, that means resistance ® is even lower. At 20 million amps, R would need to be really really small for the voltage to also be very low.

They put the 20 million amps basically through a tuna can, which I would think would have a resistance would at least be 0.01 ohms, putting the voltage at 200,000 volts!!!! hahaha.gif

Essentially, Atlas is a giant power multiplier using energy that is accumulated slowly and stored in the machine's capacitor banks for sudden release into a roughly four-inch-diameter liner. As the electrical current surges through the Atlas machine, it crushes the targets at velocities nearly high enough to escape Earth's gravity - 22,000 miles per hour or 10 times the speed of a high-powered rifle bullet - and at pressures that occur at the center of the earth, or millions of times that of Earth's atmosphere. During the few millionths of a second that it is operating at full strength, the tremendous electrical output of Atlas is roughly equal to four times the world's total electric power production.

The idea is to simulate the pressures at the center of a nuclear bomb without having to set off high explosives normally used to detonate the bomb.