Backcountry Border Encounters

Recycled

I like to scramble around the peaks along the US/Canada Border. Before 9/11, it seems that nobody really cared what you did. The Chilliwach River trail was maintained and an excellent way to get to Whatcom Pass. Now it's completely overgrown and "abandoned."

More recently, I've been questioned extensively by the Man when I re-entered the US in Sumas. I've run into Border Patrol folks (with their shiny dress shoes) up the Ross Lake trail, but haven't seen actually seen anyone along the Chilliwack Lake or Nooksack drainages. When I've asked about current protocol, I've been told to keep a passport with me at all times (even on the US side when approaching from the US side) and to call (!) as soon as I cross the border. This seems a bit rich, particularly when I'm obviously a dirtbag scrambler/climber and not trying to smuggle Koreans, dope or bombs.

Has anyone else had a less-than-friendly encounter while doing backcountry crossings for Tomyhoi, the border peaks, the Chilliwack river trail, Hozomeen, Silver Peaks or any other areas? I'm trying to figure out the practical rules before I end up under a spotlight getting a cavity search.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not INTO Canada. A couple years ago, a whole van load of Koreans got busted just north of Bellingham. When I ran into the Border Patrol agents up Ross Lake they mentioned that (last year?) they caught a couple Koreans being smuggled down the lake. I've noticed since then that there is often a USBP Expedition parked at both the Ross Lake trailheads. I suppose it was only a matter of time before dubious characters started using Ross Lake enough to be noticed.

I would quash this thread if I could. The border patrol knows about us. And they are willing to let us do our "across the border to get route" attitudes. But if illicits knew and started using the info, you could bet there would be a hammer coming down on the climbing community from the border patrol. Recommendation=keep it quiet and eliminate this thread.

Anyone pulling out a map will see how much border there is, I don't think this thread is going to give anyone ideas that they don't already have. I'm legit and my main concern is that I've gotten different instructions from different officials and I want to save myself a nasty surprise if the "rules" we've become accustomed to suddenly change. I'd rather make a phone call before I go then have the black helicopters after me. My wife make a call to the BP yesterday to tell them she was going to be doing a wetland deliniation directly on the border and it took her a long time to find out who to call, and then the person she talked with got overly excited.

Anyway, I was just interested whether anyone else had better information.

Stefan; you are a freak. In the Seattle Times last week, I saw a photo where the border consists of a grassy median with houses on either side. The BP has lots to do, is only doing it so-so, and is in no position to come down on Bear Mountain bound climbers.

I propose that Stefan is quashed.

Don't even bother asking the border folks. Officially, when you cross the border, you are supposed to go straight to the nearest border authority to report in. That means before you get the chance to do your climb. Then, after you reported in, you go to try to cross the border again, then have to report to the authorities, again, never actually reaching the goal that encouraged you to cross the border to begin with.

This is how it was before increased scrutiny brought about by 9/11.

Prior to 9/11, the only official way for you to cross without this Catch-22 was places with monitored crossings, like the Pacific Crest Trail and I imagine Hozomeen since there are rangers that patrol there.

I don't know what the official rule is now, but even those places might not be endorsed anymore. One thing seems consistant though, if you ask a border person they will likely tell you that you can't do it.

I don't imagine it's gonna get any better since they found that tunnel going under the border!

That was hilarious reading about that. tongue.gif Maybe we can smuggle discount cams from Canadia like granny is getting discount meds.