Adams south ridge solo question

chinook2

I was thinking about a solo (among the throngs) trip up the south (dog) route on Adams this weekend. Any reasons (crevasses) I should rethink the plan.

Also, any beta on trickles (running water) above the lunch counter would be helpful. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend there were no crevasses, I believe that it's just a snowfield the whole way and crevasses aren't a possibility. Soloing it sounds reasonable to me.

There was some running water available around the lunch counter if you looked. Above it there was really no chance because everything was covered in snow.

There isn't any crevasse danger on the south spur route just several snowfields to navigate. If you plan on overnighting on the mountain all that is needed is a tarp to lay your sleeping bag on.(Provided the weather is going to stay nice.) bigdrink.gif Take something windproof for the top and some other insulation and you'll be fine. For the glissade trip down I recommend an old tough pair of rainpants and an ice axe to control your speed. There are places where one could easily lose control of their speed w/o some sort of braking device. Other than that the south side is basically just like a Muir-like slog.......... x2.

Have fun! We will be down there in a couple of weeks. bigdrink.gif

To get water out of a talus slope, a 2 foot length of 3/8" tubing can be VERY helpful. However, you might want to reconsider your ambitions of drinking anything from the south slope of Mt. Adams. The Lunch Counter smells sort of like a sewer, and the throngs climbing up and down the hill have almost certainly fowled anything above there as well. (And I pretty much drink water freely and untreated everywhere I go.)

You know I'm a big pro-access guy, but I honestly think severe limits, or a ban on camping at Lunch Counter should be considered if things don't improve. Or maybe (gasp) a toilet structure of some kind...or even a stone shelter should be built to concentrate the effects. You're right, Matt. It's a sewer up there. Nothing more disgusting than climbing past old soiled underwear and dessicated feces with tattered bits of paper sticking out of it. I always pick up other folks litter...but I refuse to put someone else's shitty briefs in my pack. frown.gif