[TR] Harvey's Pup- Pup Buttress 7/22/2005

Climb: Harvey's Pup-Pup Buttress

Date of Climb: 7/22/2005

Trip Report:

This will be my first trip report here on CC. I got some good beta on the route from some old posts so I though I'd return the favor.

Overall it's an interesting climb with lots of adventure. The rock is not the best, actually it's pretty bad, but in the end it's a somewhat rewarding climb. Just a cool place to be.

A couple of notes as far as beta goes:

If you want to stash packs leave them at the big gully that you cross on the approach. This is where the descent meets the trail. We left ours out in the scree field below the peak and had to backtrack to get to them.

Some people had said the the start isn't obvious but we found that not to be the case. There is an obvious pin sticking out of a crack about fifteen feet up. Can't miss it.

Lastly, the section up through the headwall doesn't look very probable from below. We wasted some time looking around but in fact the route does go up the big nasty looking chimney system.

Oh, and get an early start.

The buttress.

2550IMG_1782-med.jpg

On the approach.

2550Untitled2-med.jpg

The third class approach ramp.

2550IMG_1791-med.jpg

Racking up below the first pitch.

2550IMG_1792-med.jpg

The first pitch. Steep!

2550IMG_1796-med.jpg

Looking down from pitch two.

2550IMG_1797-med.jpg

Tom belaying out on the slabs.

2550IMG_1801-med.jpg

The headwall. The climb goes up the obvious dark chimney in the middle of the face.

2550Untitled3-med.jpg

Tom starting up pitch four.

2550IMG_1803-med.jpg

And into the chimney. This section was just as difficult as the "crux" offwidth.

2550IMG_1804-med.jpg

Love those mossy offwidths!

2550IMG_1807-med.jpg

After the crux... no more pro for a while.

2550IMG_1806-med.jpg

Nice belay at the end of the long chimney.

2550IMG_1808-med.jpg

From the summit.

2550IMG_1811-med.jpg

Rapping into the notch. One of coolest rappels ever! (if there is such a thing)

2550IMG_1818-med.jpg

And again...

2550IMG_1824-med.jpg

And into the looooong chossy descent gully.

2550IMG_1826-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Brought two #3 camalot size, one #4, and a big hex. Used it all.

Approach Notes:

Straight forward.

Edited by Buckwheat

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember that it looked mossy from below but that the tops of the big, flat holds were clean. aside from that my photos look just like your photos except mine were taken in 1995.

In Darrington, we call this the "Darrington Effect." Looking up at most any route from below you see all the lichen, moss and even bushes that grow beneath overlaps and on the downside of every knob and ripple, but the upward facing surfaces in any area that doesn't have an ongoing seepage issue are all clean 'cause anything that grows there gets taken off by avalanches and spindrift and ice creep during the winter.

Sounds like you have the "Pup Effect" going on.

If you look over at the north face oF Harvey next door, you can see a vertical field of munge. If it wasn't so low in elevation it would have dozens of quality winter routes, as it is it thaws out too frequently.

The steep parts of the pup were definitely cleaner than Harvey though, as reported by the 1970's FA party. It's pretty crazy that they freed most of the route including the crux offwidth and only nailed 30 feet of what is now a 5.8+ finger crack. Culbert Style thumbs_up.gif