rope diameter and length for Rainier ?

ogre

My partner and I are doing Rainier in August (D.C. route) and was wondering what diameter and length of rope we should use. I have an 8.8mm 30m rope we used for Baker but is that really enough. Of course, we don't plan on falling but should that happen what would you recommend in regards to rope dia. and length.

Thanks ,

Ogre

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of two-person teams on a glacier climb using a rope with them dimensions... "ice floss" they call it.

just make sure that your prussiks will hold it... the thinner the main rope is, the thinner the prussik ropes need to be.

good luck.

My wife and I used a 60m 8.8mm rope on Baker and on Rainier. To handle the extra length, we use a few loops at the ends and carry the kiwi coils. We like the lighter weight. To compensate for the "grab" of the slings we use 4 wraps instead of the usual 3. It seems to hold well.

Ogre, 30m should be fine for two people. As long as you don't need to pitch anything outthat is serious and carry enough of a coil between the two of you, you should be fine. I use a 30m 8mm rope. That being said, you better be able to arrest fairly quickly as it is just a party of two. I wouldn't leave any slack in the line, but a 30m rope should be plenty. Just put 40 feet between you and each carry 30 ft. of coil.

Great,

Looks like I'm covered for rope then.I wasn't looking forward to the extra cost of another rope. At least not right now. Eventually I will as I would definitely feel safer with a 9.2 or better. Guess I'll be extra focused on my axe during the climb. Good advise on the the extra wraps as I do employ that method also on the smaller diameter rope. Thanks for the feedback!

For a glacier fall, you definitely do not need a 9.2 to be safer. The forces are pretty low compared to climbing. I've always used 8.4 mm, and it is not uncommon to see people using 7.6 mm (in both cases test and adjust your prussiking accordingly).

In your case, adding a third person to the team would do much more for your potential safety in case of a fall than any change to the rope.

drC