Oregon waterfalls??

sobo

OK, so my soon-to-be 3-year-old has taken up a fascination with waterfalls. We were thinking about taking him down to the Gorge this wqeekend to see some, but wanted to stay away from the Mecca that is Multnomah.

Someone posted here a short time ago about a daytrip they took to a falls that you could walk behind on a trail. Couldn't dredge it up with a search, so if you remember that post or know the place, Nicholas's dad would appreciate hearing from you.

cross-posted to Oregon Cascades

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

horsetail falls to punchbowl falls back down to the road to oenata gorge is short (about 4 miles?) and very cool - it's just a few miles east of multnomah, but doesn't have bad crowds. the first fall comes right down to the road.

If it is a hot day, hike up Oneonta Gorge.

Really, really, really cool. You'll probably have to carry him a little bit to get to the falls though. You wade up the gorge through a narrow slot canyon, crossing a couple of log jams along the way, and then you end up INSIDE this huge punchbowl with the falls crashing down right in front of you from about 50ft up. Spectacular.

monner0247.jpg

Couple of waterfalls that you can walk behind in the gorge. Tunnel Falls is six miles up Eagle Creek. As mentioned, usually very crowded trail but it is an impressive sight at about 120 ft high. Trail has some very steep drop offs and might not be the best for a three year old unless being carried. A much shorter trip is to start at Horse Tail falls, hike up to Upper Horsetail Falls where the trail goes behind the waterfall. Only about a 1/4 mile hike. You can continue on to Triple Falls which is about another 2 miles away with about 700 ft. of elevation. This waterfall is about 50 feet high and splits into 3 almost perfectly equal parts. You can hit Oneonta Gorge/Falls on the return trip.

Really, really, really cool. You'll probably have to carry him a little bit to get to the falls though. You wade up the gorge through a narrow slot canyon, crossing a couple of log jams along the way, and then you end up INSIDE this huge punchbowl with the falls crashing down right in front of you from about 50ft up. Spectacular.

I would also suggest this. I have been going there since I was a kid and it really is a cool (literally) place. thumbs_up.gifwave.gif

WOW guys! Thanks for all the tips! It's looking like I should prolly take a day off mid-week or let the wife take him down the gorge to get the best value out of this trip.

foraker: Thanks for the database tip. Good search engine and great driving directions on that site.

I would also suggest this. I have been going there since I was a kid and it really is a cool (literally) place. thumbs_up.gifwave.gif

Seriously..one of the best places on earth!! I love that place. Plan on getting wett! (oh yeah, the best part is because it's a scramble over a log jam, and a wade through waist high water...you won't have the crowds as the others!!) It's not really a hike though...more of a stop on the way!

3 year old... on the west side of hood is a short 1/2 mile trail that goes to Little Zigzag Falls. Great little kid hike. A couple miles east of Rhodie on Hwy 26 you will see road 2639 on the north. Follow that road to its end - about 3 miles to the trailhead.