Solo climb ideas

Alasdair

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of off topic, but not really...when you all are out soloing....whether it be hiking, climbing, camping, trail running, alpine, or just taking a stroll in the wilderness...do you bring anything to fend off bears or cougars or the like? If so, what? and how effective is it? Am I OVERLY worried about this stuff?

I seem to see cougar/bears etc quite often when I'm out and it freaks me out! Just last week I was out on my Mt. Bike and ended up riding between a bear and her cub...not good. I know. Needless to say I backed up and rapidly went the other way....The week before that, I sensed I was being followed on my trail run, so I started running backwards and sure enough a cougar took off in the woods to the left of me. I DO NOT LIKE THESE CLOSE CALLS, but I LOVE to play outside!! My dog just had surgery, she used to be my "protection" so to say, but she can't play for 4-8 more weeks!

Obviously this isn't a concern on the "dog" routes or extremely popular camping areas, but I try to avoid those. So when I'm out by myself...what should I bring? I'd have to say I'm EXTREMELY aware of my surroundings, which I think has me a) paranoid, and b) saved my ass in a couple of instances...but what else can I do? Talk loudly to myself? Clap my hands? Make my presense known? Or is that theory over-rated as well?

I have seen those, and that's another question...do they work? Or are they "dinner bells"?

One of my Mt. Biker buddy's swears that by painting eyes on the back of his helmet...it keeps the cougars from pouncing...since they only pounce when their prey's back is turned...

I don't know..that's my question..does anyone have proof, real life experience, stories, that any of this shiznit works??

I've used them on the Appalachian Trail years ago, and they tended to work well for black bears and wild cats (I had run into several bears and a few cats before using them, none afterward, so I make my conclusion based upon that evidence alone). I haven't used them out West at all.

The bells didn't seem to have any effect on the boars in the Great Smoky Mountains section of the trail, though... hellno3d.gif

You just wanna be sure you're off the trail and in a (fenced) shelter by dark. shocked.gif

I think you are overly worried. As far as bears go, there are very few problem bears in washington. I have only seen bears in the North Cascades and truth is they dont appear to be very used to seeing people. A quick yell and waving of some arms has always got them running in the other direction. As far a cougars go, I have only seen them at the bars, never in the moutains, and the ones in the bars are much more dangerous.

I have run into (read: surprised) at least two bears while on approach to the Goat Rocks (Old Snowy, Curtis Gilbet, etc.) and at least one cougar on the way into Strobach Mountain. The critterz are out there, but I had no problems, other than shitting my pants! shocked.gif

reported cougar attacks and cougar attacks are different. My neighbor has been attacked 4 times. he killed the last one with a 2x4, and it's stuffed on his mantel.

Another guy who lives down the hill from me, has been attacked twice. These are both big men.

Not every attack is reported. My horse was attacked two years ago 3 feet from my bedroom window!

Thats not the type of cougar I am talking about. That kind is relativly harmless. They tend to get close to the prey and then lose it at the very last minute. You know the term "Coug it". I am talking about a middle-aged (or above) woman, dressed to the nines, out on the prowl looking for young (20-35 year old) men. Ofter with a couple pups at home.