Maude North Face Ice Couloir?

catbirdseat

This sounds interesting. I wonder if any of you have climbed this. http://www.summitpost.org/show/route_link.pl/route_id/108/object_id/230

This year probably isn't a good year for it, though. A fellow I met on Maude who had scrambled Seven Fingered Jack, was surprised we'd succeeded on the N. Face Route, because he said it looked melted out. I am sure he had the couloir route confused with the N. Face route.

Edited by catbirdseat

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard for me to say because I haven't actually been in the couloir, but....Probably right about now would be too late. I'd say it's probably good into mid July. Keep in mind, snowpack generally didn't end up too bad above 7000ft. this year because of the wetness we've had the last few months.

Yeah we climbed and skied it near the end of March '04. Not sure about when it would melt out, it is pretty protected between two ribs. Its a cool route because it is thin and super straight, and ascends to a tiny notch about 100' below and E of the summit.

-The NE Couloir follows the first sun/shadow line left of the summit. The Entiat Icefall is below the larger notch farther left.

MaudefromCopperCreekPass.JPG