Limestone north of concrete

lancegranite

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dock (or Dock's) Butte is known locally as an easy hike to a great viewpoint for the S side of Baker. Access is off the Schreiber's meadow/Wanlick Pass rd, stay to the L (do not go to Schreiber's), then L again at Wanlick p. on the Blue Lk rd. I do not know any climbing history on it but from flying over it I would say it is not exactly Yosemite-esque. Blue Lk has a black fly rep as I recall. I would be a bit surprised to know that it was limestone, as I thought those deposits were concentrated near the lower end of Lk Shannon.

You are right, there is significant limestone up there;

after digging around in my cerebral cortex, I also remembered the following:

Halliday, W. R., 1963, Caves of Washington: Washington Division of Mines and Geology Information Circular 40, 132 p., 9 plates. (out of print)

I recall reference in this to one of the longer limestone caves in Washington being located W of Dock Butte/Wanlick pass. (I don't own this pamphlet - probably read a copy at the FS years ago). So I was wrong in questioning Dock Butte's dolomitic heritage! No one can accuse me of being a geologist...