Beacon Rock Notice

JosephH

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

As a free-standing stone, Beacon represents a unique challenge compared to almost any other cliff where you can just stand back and scope the whole thing from one spot. Monitoring Beacon effectively puts you on the move as the Peregrines move. I/we have a circuit that consists of the Boat Ramp (S & SW $ W), Upper Picnic Area (N & E & W), the tracks about 100 yards East of where the trail drops down (S & SE & E). If the Peregrines are really active it can get pretty aerobic getting down to the SE corner and back all day. Some times they perch up on the SE or SW corners (up by Eric's rap anchors) for hours and hunt from there often heading out across the river or to the SouthEast. Occasionally they head due North and typically land high up on the East face when they do. I rarely if ever see them head or return from the NE (Hamilton) where one might think would be a reasonable alternate nesting area. Other times they stay in the air for extended periods taking long exursions up or down the river always returning to soar the ridge lift right above Beacon. They get in that ridge lift and can really pick up some altitude before heading out. That's roughly their behavior. When I've seen them land on Beacon it is typically somewhere on the South face about 90% of the time I see them land. I've never seen them visit the NW face or land up on top anywhere. That doesn't mean they don't, just that I haven't seen them do it. Again, my guess is they nested in this one spot way up on the East face high above the parking lot and in about 50 yards. I think they are just at Beacon too much for the chicks not to be there too.

Mark,

The BRSP rangers have no control over the Peregrine closure which is governed by the WDFW Peregrine Management Plan as administered by David Anderson, the WDFW biologist. Officially it's entirely Dave's call, but in reality nothing much happens unilaterally out there so a pow-wow between the two agencies would take place because the BRSP has some pre-opening tasks around signage, survey, notifications, and phone messages they have to schedule as well. If we prove to WDFW's satisfaction the the Peregrines are not nesting on the South face, then my expectation would be that wheels would begin turning to coordinate an opening date as soon as is humanly feasible. We would be in the loop on that scheduling and would be sure and let everyone here know what's going on.

And thanks for the offer...

Here is a shot of the area where I think they may have nested...

6299peregrine_nest.JPG

And here is a shot of the Red Tail Hawk's nest location - it looks like a tall Chinese castle affair of red sticks and is very impressively architected.

6299Red_Tail.jpg

If they did nest in these places, then they would have no reason to close the rock, from climbers. If they would close the entire rock to all climber and hikers, I might be alittle more understanding to the birds. And we all know they are not endangered anymore. Considering they nest on top of the Freemont brigde and half of the tall buildings downtown. Sorry just venting!!!

Kev,

Only the top photo is related to the Peregrines. The bottom one is hawks. But yes, if they do nest up on the East face then the South face should be open. And you are right with regard to their status, they are no longer listed as an "endangered species" for the purpose of protection under Federal law on a national basis. But that said, they are no where near restored to anything close to their natural range here in the NW. WA State is dedicated to seeing that range restored within the state and our pair being successful every year at Beacon is contributing to that effort in that every year their chicks have been growing up and moving on to other areas. I find it as frustrating as the next person being shut out part of the year, but I also love seeing and hearing them when am out and think about how much poorer and less wild the experience would be without them. I feel the same way in my windsurfing about the Ospreys and watching them so successfully repopulate the Gorge over the twenty years I've lived here. But that's just me and I do understand not everyone feels that way. Rest assured, though, we will be working to get it open at the earliest possible date this year. There are no guarantees it will open early, but we will be on it...

Well, closing Beacon until July gets everyone in the PDX into the habit of just heading over your way to Smith and when it opens most of them just keep doing that. That helps keep Beacon trad; that, and the poison oak which is going to be far worse than ever this year taking over virtually every route on the stone. Oh, and there'll probably be a bad outbreak of human parvo, the bears are rabid, the wasps - they crossed with killer bees in '05 and will now chase you back to the parking lot...

You learn something new every day...

" Originally noted as Beaten Rock in William Clark's journal, an apparent mondegreen, but soon corrected to Beacon, so called for looking the sort of peak to light a beacon fire upon. Alexander Ross of the Astor Expedition (1811) called it Inshoack Castle (I don’t know why) from which it became known as Castle Rock. In 1961 the name Beacon Rock was officially “restored.” The aboriginal name was Che-che-op-tin meaning “navel of the world.” "

joseph,

yes, it's not hard at all......i don't want to give to many secrets away on the internet though......it took me years to find my way around beacon.

if you rap into big ledge the ledge on eric's anchor(which i think needs to be removed!), it's only two columns over. i've done it multiple times and the first time i did it solo with a pack. i'll be glad to show you or just do it with you.

Now that you mention it I looked at that traverse when I was cleaning up the bolts on Big Ledge and guess since putting so much time working West from "Flying Dutchman" I simply forgot it...

I'd rather wait and do it with you. I already replaced the intermediate anchors down from Eric's and would prefer to leave his top one in case we ever needed to do a rescue.

there is another way to get in without using those bolts. everytime i have ever rapped in i have used a different way.

pardon my ignorance, but how would you use those bolts in a rescue? there is no routes up that lead up that direction, so you shouldn't have to rescue anyone from there. it also seems like you would lower people not raise them to the top.