82 Year Old and 7 Year old summiting same week

Mike_Gauthier

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is wild -- when I was up there last month, I ran into Aidan and his dad at Camp Muir. I talked to them for a few minutes, and they both seemed like really nice people. They were talking about how they were going to do a summit attempt in July.

Aidan seemed pretty motivated -- I was sitting there on a rock, putting stuff away, and his dad was explaining how when they did the summit climb they'd take three days, and Aidan was asking "Why can't we just go now, dad?"

Congratulations Aidan and family, as well as Mr. Painter!

When my brother and I were six we climbed up to 12500-ft. I have good memories of the trip, even though we didn't make it that time.

Here is us at muir. My mom liked long hair. What can I say, it was the 80's. Oh sorry, we didn't own gortex and those are american airlines socks wink.gif:

threeatmuir.JPG

There have been a references about these climbers reaching the summit last week; here's the story. Congrats bigdrink.gif

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/eastsidenews/2002397548_climbers23e.html

"He has hiked up Badger Mountain, an 800-foot peak in Richland, more than 1,300 times with 40-pound weights strapped to a backpack in anticipation of the 50-pound-pack he would carry up the steep glacial slopes of Rainier. Painter also bicycles about 100 miles a week. His wife of 58 years, Evelyn, rides alongside. But she stays out of his way in the kitchen."

If someone were to show this fellow how to pack light, there is no telling what he might accomplish!

I liked this part of the news story about the kid:

"And late next week he is expected to begin a sabbatical from second grade."

I'm 40, and still waiting to take my first sabbatical from something...

We saw Mr. Painter up high on the mountain on his summit day last year, and chatted with him for a while. He was very cool; had a great attitude. I'm glad to see he came back for another one.

The entire family — including Aidan's 4-year-old brother Janick — will travel to the Swiss Alps in August and September, then to the Mount Everest base camp. It will be December before Aidan returns to Woodinville Montessori's Bothell campus.

Wow.