Death on three finger jack

A close friend of mine, Katie T. died on three finger jack Yesterday after a slip on gravel on one of the descent ridges and thena fall into a gully. I was wondering if there was a place where the rescue services post notices of things like this. Was anyone on the rescue who could tell me more? I am just thankful she went out doing what she loved instead of something like a car accident.

RIP Katie.

news article

Edited by 111

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you are celebrating her death! Easy for me to say, hard for you to do. Keep her memory alive in your soul and keep celebrating the times that you were blessed to share. She is fortunate to die in such a way.

Here's to Katie bigdrink.gif

Edited by SemoreJugs

I'm from Washington, but the Sheriff's office is always in charge of SAR operations. I looked up the county SAR team but their page is way out of date:

http://www.co.linn.or.us/Sheriff/SAR/LCSOsar.BaseCamp.htm

I would contact the person below as he is the Linn County Search and Rescue Coordinator. He could get you the names of the agencies who responded to the accident.

LINN

Lieutenant Will McAnulty

Linn County Sheriff's Office

P. O. Box 100

Albany, OR 97321

Office: 541 917 6683

wmcanulty@le.linn.or.us

The mountain rescue community sends its regards,

Tod Lokey

Tacoma Mountain Rescue

Communications Chair

She was at one time a member of OSU Mountain Club but she graduated last year and hasn't been very active in the club. Her climbing partners were just 2 close friends from school. The trip wasn't associated with Mountain CLub. She was actually just in the beginning stages of joining one of the mountain rescue organizations in Oregon. She was fully competent for that mountain's difficulty from my perspective. Shit just happens. Lets take this as a lesson on not letting our guard down until completely past the exposed sections of a climb or descent.

I saw Katie that afternoon just below the summit block chimney.

As far as "she went out doing what she loved." You're right! It was an incredibly beautiful sunny day on 3FJ, one that climbers envision… sun on your face and endless peaks draped with blue.

The following information came from an acquaintance in the Mazama group that was above Katie's climbing party.

You may be aware of the situation at this point, but apparently the accident occurred just below the base of "The Crawl" possibly at a part of the trail commonly known as "Cliffhanger trail".

Our climbing party was lower down the ridge of 3FJ at time of the accident. We were all unaware of the accident until we reached the trailhead.

I hope I was helpful.

My condolences to the family and friends.

For further information on the accident you may also try contacting -

Sisters Ranger District

PO Box 248

Sisters, OR 97759

541-549-2111

Detroit Ranger District

HC-73, Box 320

Mill City, OR 97360

503-854-3366

Katie was a good friend of mine also, though I never had a chance to climb with her. If anybody who knew her has any stories or kind words they would like to share, I would be happy to pass them on to her friends and family.

Please keep Katie and her family in your thoughts during this difficult time.

Sorry for thread drift but I was wondering...

Was Katie a member of the OSU climbing club?

NOLSe, I know that you have meet her before, at least at pint night at bombs away. She was also a TA in Gen Chem at OSU. Several people there have asked me about her. Katie was a remarkable woman and I was shocked to learn about this accident.

The memorial for Katie will be Thursday 11am at Nash. There will be a tree planted in her memory and a reception in the Pernot Library in Nash Hall. Katie’s parents will be there. Also Katie’s family is planning a memorial at

their home in Hillsboro Saturday at 2pm. The memorial is very informal so T-Shirts and shorts are fine."

Having been on the mountain the day of the accident (our group left "the crawl" area mere minutes before Katie's fall), I've been sobered by how unfortunate all of this has been. It's really put things into perspective: climbing can be dangerous no matter your skill level and objective hazards do exist. We all understand those risks, accept them, and, therefore, reach such lofty places that inspire us. Our bonds with each other and the environment are strengthened by what we learn on the trail and in the mountains.

I did not know Katie, but I gather that she had a deep respect for the mountains and was a good friend. It sounds like she was an amazing person. Bless her soul.

I saw Katie and her group at the alcove before the final pitch to the summit. I distinctly remember how everyone up there seemed to be having a great time- glorious weather, joking, and laughter. Indeed, it was a beautiful day.