[TR] Killimanjaro Photo Assualt- By airplane 7/6/2005

Climb: Killimanjaro Photo Assualt-By airplane

Date of Climb: 7/6/2005

Trip Report:

So we went out to Zanzaibar over the 4th of July weekend. What an awesome trip, started with a safari outside of Nairobi on a long layover, spent several days on the beach, then on the way back the pilot was kind of enough to give us an tour of Mt. Killimanjaro. Anyway wish my window was a little cleaner, but oh well here's the pictures. Oh BTW the peak off in the distance is Mt. Meru.

3794Killimanjaro_005.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_006.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_007.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_008.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_009.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_010.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_011.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_012.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_013.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_014.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_015.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_016.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_017.jpg

3794Killimanjaro_018.jpg

Off to spend two weeks out on Mt Kenya. Can't wait we will have about 13-15 of cragging on the mountain.

Yes yes yes, I'll post a TR and pictures.

Gear Notes:

None

Approach Notes:

None

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we went out to Zanzaibar over the 4th of July weekend.

I hope I can casually rattle off a line like that someday. yellaf.gif

Cool pics Ken. It doesn't look too interesting from a climbing perspective, but very interesting to see some unique views of an exotic mountain.

Lookin' forward to your pics from Mt. Kenya! thumbs_up.gif

My wife and I summited Kili December 25, 2004 (Christmas morning). It was an awesome experience. We went up the Umbwe Route camping at Umbwe Cave, Baranco Hut, Karanga Valley and Barafu. There was nohing technical about the climb. But the summit is at 19,341 ft. It was an exhilarating experience. We felt lucky to not have any altitude problems.

Your photos show how rapidly the glaciers are receding. If anyone is interested in climbing Kili. They should go soon while there is still some snow on top of the great mountain. I can provide an excellent recommendation for an outfitter.....contact Zanaib at www.zaratravels.com

Well TLG there will be more pictures soon. Last night we decided to do a small private show of our trip to Zanzibar and my friends that were on the trip have some better photos from the plane. One you can see the trails and camps along up the mountain. I'll put them up when I get a chance. Also stay tuned for Kenya. I leave this Saturday and will be on the mountain for at least 15 days, I hope to get a ton of climbing in and summit a few times. We'll see.

CBS I believe it still snows up there, just not that often and and not really enough to accumulate.

cj I heard the same thing about the glaciers up on Killi being gone in the near future, I have no idea when that will be.