[TR] The Mythical Bellingham Big Wall- 7/21/2005

dberdinka

Amazing!... rockband.gif

It gets repeated.... bigdrink.gif

By guys who live hundred of miles away (and 5 minutes from the Icicle) confused.gif

Aren't you two a long ways from home? What inspired you to schwack up there?

I live in Bellingham! & found the elusive & cryptic Mike Layton ciggy butt.

The shwack sucked but was much better on the way out, the blueberries were a bit too sour to make you happy again whilst being so sad on the approach.

The climb was very fun, cool rock, it would be way nice to have a trail through that crap. Blake- we just crossed on logs or took off shoes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing!... rockband.gif

It gets repeated.... bigdrink.gif

By guys who live hundred of miles away (and 5 minutes from the Icicle) confused.gif

Aren't you two a long ways from home? What inspired you to schwack up there?

i went to college at western, did the obligatory sisters climb, and thought the rock was really cool. i had been interested in revisiting the area for a while. a climbing partner of mine and his family lives in bow so the trip wasn't as out of the way as you think.

good thing kat didn't find the empty sixer of schmidt tall-boys that i stashed after smoking that ciggy.

oh yeah, we did it in early july and the river crossing was cake.

Edited by rat

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Lynn and I climbed this yesterday. What a great place and a fun route! It does seem like a different part of the country up there...certainly not western WA.

Thanks Darin and Mike for finding the route. bigdrink.gif

And yes, the butt was still at the tree belay... wink.gif:

• 3 weeks later...

thumbs_up.gif nice find guys!! Had a blast climbing it on saturday, didnt have fun reversing the bushwack in the dark though. Has anyone thought of trying to stay on the elbow lake trail and dropping straight down into green creek?

I got confused on what tree I was supposed to head to on the first pitch and ended up stretching the 60meters out to a higher tree left of where i was supposed to be(guessing) Climbed a hard finger crack for ten feet, then some insecure slopey traversing right led back to the big ledge and from there I was able to climb up to the tree below the 5.10-pitch. (maybe I have been climbing a lot of cracks this summer, but that really didnt feel like 5.10...not trying to be rude or anything.) The roof pitch was great! What a find...guna have to head back up in there next year and do some exploring myself.

• 2 weeks later...
thumbs_up.gif nice find guys!! Had a blast climbing it on saturday, didnt have fun reversing the bushwack in the dark though. Has anyone thought of trying to stay on the elbow lake trail and dropping straight down into green creek?

I got confused on what tree I was supposed to head to on the first pitch and ended up stretching the 60meters out to a higher tree left of where i was supposed to be(guessing) Climbed a hard finger crack for ten feet, then some insecure slopey traversing right led back to the big ledge and from there I was able to climb up to the tree below the 5.10-pitch. (maybe I have been climbing a lot of cracks this summer, but that really didnt feel like 5.10...not trying to be rude or anything.) The roof pitch was great! What a find...guna have to head back up in there next year and do some exploring myself.

-5.10 wink.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

While I understand keeping things 'wild' is good, I also thought it would be beneficial to those of you wondering where the climb is, to know. Having not climbed it myself, these pictures are my guess as to where this Mythical Big Wall is located. I am trying to convince my partner to bushwack with me to this climb...

When was the last time someone climbed it?! Just how bad is the non-existent trail from the Elbow Lake trail to the scree?

See if these links work...

7424714596_45bd606ab4.jpg

_MG_4525 by Tyler Mitchell Photography, on Flickr

7424713972_f937490da3.jpg

_MG_4527 by Tyler Mitchell Photography, on Flickr

7424713854_fdfbff7eb3.jpg

_MG_4488 by Tyler Mitchell Photography, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

The approach on the east side is absolutely beautiful and the shwacking is tame (all blueberries, (almost) no devils club). Still if you want pitches go to Squamish, if you want a wilderness experience close to home the Green Creek Valley can't be beat.

With a multiday trip in there, either basecamping or traversing you could knock off a lot of good routes from the Mythic Wall, to the South Twin, Skookum, Cinderella.....

• 2 years later...