fun in oregon?

corvallisclimb

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matterhorn. TG has all the info (if you can get him to answer a pm).

Hrrumph! Write me a PM & I'll answer...if the answer is long give me your phone number & I'll call ( I type rather slowly.)

The photeo is deceptive. I believe it is the taken from a bit north of east and is one of the less dramatic views. The west face is three times as large and has atleast two grade fives on it. If your interested in the adventure you need to post a gaurd on the top to keep tourists from trundeling. Dave Jensen ( of Yosimite fame) put up two routes in the late 70's on the west face. I believe 5.9,a3+ and 5.8,a4. I have soloed a 5.4 grade 3 on the right side of the east face and there is plenty more to climb on that side of the mountain. In fact someone that is a lot more talented than me could could probably out up a new significant free route on the nose direct...if they lived to tell about it.

If anybody has a good photo of the east face it might be worth posting...the above photo does not do the mountain justice.

All of the above being said, even though I believe the Matterhorn to be the largest face in Oregon; the rock quality is only okay at best and there is plenty of that sugar crust that limestone gets that makes it impossible to climb steep without excavating down to the solid stuff.

I personally prefer the greenstone and granite in the area if I am looking for back country adventure climbing.

• 2 weeks later...