[TR] Joffre- Central Couloir 7/17/2005

elliot

Climb: Joffre-Central Couloir

Date of Climb: 7/17/2005

Trip Report:

We decided to climb the central couloir on Joffre on the weekend. Arrived at the trailhead early Saturday afternoon and hiked through swarms of mosquitoes to our bivy site below the northeast face. Considering that Sunday was forecasted to be hot we got an early start to try and get off the route before it got too hot out. Crossed the bergschrund and simul climbed up the right hand side of the couloir trying to avoid a large bowling alley which ran directly down the couloir. After watching stuff come down the bowling alley a few times during morning we decided instead of climbing the final constrictive section near the top to transverse out left up a snow ramp. Then we climbed some 4th class rock to the summit ridge and hiked to the top. Descended the Southeast Face.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow was fairly solid in the couloir, even a bit of ice in the bowling alley, however the snow was really loose and a bit sketchy when we traversed out left near the top

I think I have posted some pictures in my gallery, I couldn't figure out how to add them directly to the post

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8772