If you were on Stuart 7/16-17 Please reply

MtnHigh

If you were on Stuart Saturday or Sunday (7/16-17) and saw two woman climbing together please contact me. Or if you know a friend who headed for Stuart this weekend please ask them. The women are both in their mid 30's.

They attempted the West Ridge, started Saturday, planned to bivvy on route at the head of start gulley. I do not know their planned descent route. Probably Cascadian.

They are late getting back. A formal search is underway. Any info on seeing them this past weekend may help in the search.

Thank you

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were on Stuart Saturday or Sunday (7/16-17) and saw two woman climbing together please contact me. Or if you know a friend who headed for Stuart this weekend please ask them. The women are both in their mid 30's.

They attempted the West Ridge, started Saturday, planned to bivvy on route at the head of start gulley. I do not know their planned descent route. Probably Cascadian.

They are late getting back. A formal search is underway. Any info on seeing them this past weekend may help in the search.

Thank you

I hope they are just behind schedual and you all find them quick. keep us posted.

They climbed past us near our bivy site at 8,200' while we were lazily having another cup of coffee around 7 am. They climbed on, and then we caught up with them at the base of Long John Tower. We climbed up the gully below the tower, and they stayed back, trying to decide how they wanted to approach it, I think. We never saw them come over the notch (by the tower). However, we did see two climbers come through the notch, but it was different people. We talked to them at the West Ridge notch, and they said that the two women were still at the base of LJT when they climbed past them, although the two guys took a different route, so they didn't really interact with the women.

They were definitely equipped for overnight, and the weather was really nice Sunday night, plus there is still enough snow to melt. So if they stayed another night, they probably weren't suffering. (Barring injury, of course) But then, you say they're still missing?

I PM'd my info.

For the record, let's put the last known contact with them at 10 am (which would be about the time those other guys passed them). If they had retreated from that location, they would have been heading either back down the way they came (standard ascent route, easy descent), or trying to descend the gully below LJT (which isn't very friendly). If they came over the LJT notch, and kept that pace, they would have run out of daylight before the West Ridge notch probably. As you probably know, there are all kinds of places to bivy along that route.

Marcus Donaldson and I climbed Stuart on July 18th via a new route on the NW face that finished just right of Long John's Tower and then followed the west ridge to the summit. We didn't bump into anyone on route though we did pass two dudes at Goat pass in bivy bags and saw 2 people on the N ridge. Check your pms Iain for my contact info.

Two of us started up the West Ridge Sat AM in white-out with wind and some rain. Went part way up the approach gully, sat in bivy gear until midmorning, then bailed. The weather cleared by Sat afternoon, but wind continued until evening, Sun was calm and hot. We did not see any others on the route, but talked later with a group of 6 who also bailed, and later with a group of 2 who bivied Sat night then finished the route on Sun. Sun AM we went up Cascadian heading for Sherpa, but did not see anyone coming down. FYI, I have descended the gully below LJT, rapped one cliff band.

Saturday morning was a little ugly, but by evening the wind had died down, and all the clouds were gone. The night was beautiful, and Sunday was perfect. Two guys at the trailhead were heading out super early Monday for a crack at Razorback, the ridge that starts at the Stuart Glacier and tops out just west of the West Ridge notch, finishing up the West Ridge route. I hope they post a TR.

That was Marcus and I. Did the spur just right (climbers) of Razorback... not positive but we think it is unclimbed (Marcus is looking into it). Marcus should post a TR later today. Razorback did look nice cry.gif gonna have to go back and climb that one too fruit.gif

Translation: two people are missing and may be dead, but who cares 'cause we did a new route.

That was Marcus and I. Did the spur just right (climbers) of Razorback... not positive but we think it is unclimbed (Marcus is looking into it). Marcus should post a TR later today. Razorback did look nice cry.gif gonna have to go back and climb that one too fruit.gif

Translation: two people are missing and may be dead, but who cares 'cause we did a new route.

Kind of mean don't you think, thats not a good translation at all. You might re-check your climber-to-english dictionary sir. You must have missed the previous NOLse post.

2nd what Iain said too.

Sometimes just getting a scrap of info or 2 can make the difference for those who are looking for those who need to be looked for.

nolsE's first post

" Marcus Donaldson and I climbed Stuart on July 18th via a new route on the NW face that finished just right of Long John's Tower and then followed the west ridge to the summit. We didn't bump into anyone on route though we did pass two dudes at Goat pass in bivy bags and saw 2 people on the N ridge. Check your pms Iain for my contact info. "

seems to me the lawyer is spot-on but, whatever the gals are apparently safe. bigdrink.gif

Just for the record, I'm only spraying here b/c the climbers returned safe.

However, when NOLSE made that post they hadn't been found yet. SO, therefore, his post solely pertaining to his climbing excapades that weekend (while otherwise interesting) was rather disrespectful to the missing climbers and those looking for them.