[TR] Mt. Constance- Finger Traverse 7/17/2005

gspooner

Climb: Mt. Constance-Finger Traverse

Date of Climb: 7/17/2005

Trip Report:

The route is clear and in spectacular condition. We had pristine views (just about the clearest I've seen for some time) from Canada to Oregon, Olympic interior to the Cascades. Enjoy.

(I'll post a few pictures if I can find them)

Gear Notes:

No place to place... shouldn't need to anyway. No slippery hands though, eh?

Approach Notes:

Remember to bring your bikes for the ride to the trailhead.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick ass climb it sure was Tweezer. Goes down as one of the more memorable adventures in the hills as you really have to earn it with all the quick elevation gain/loss and the exposure factor on the traverse and at the block.

As far as the rating goes for the FT, I'd say it's probably right on. Though there is certainly a fair bit of exposure which is easy to get spooked on, there are PLENTY of places to put your hands, and foot positioning is relatively straightforward. To be honest, I thought the last couple moves at the summit block were more menacing to downclimb with a pack on than crossing at the finger traverse. (Though I'd suggest leaving your axe at home... mine kept getting caught on the overhanging rock above my pack)

Regarding route finding, there are a few cairns erected in spots where it makes sense. It's easy to start shooting up the wrong rock gully when you are nearing the summit, but it doesn't take long to discover the true path.

• 4 weeks later...

I climbed Mt Constance on Friday (8/19/05) by skirting below the Terrible Traverse (no snow/ice which made it not so terrible at all) as I could not readily locate the Finger Traverse. I did notice a couple horizontal cracks in the area where the FT is supposed to be...the OCG's directions are sparse...is there a key to finding the Finger Traverse as soon as you come through the East-West ridge notch? I ended up climbing the class IV rock immediately to the left after you come thru the notch and "descended a few feet" (per OCG FT route description) but after I climbed over this minor ridge noticed I could have much more easily just walked down and around on the snow patch. Still didn't find the obvious route up to the finger traverse, so descended down and around, then up a slanted goat trail to the "terrible traverse" and on along the ridge line to the summit block and the summit. I didn't see a register or a Geological Survey plate at the summit. Good day hike from Olympia!

• 1 month later...

For the finger traverse, once you come out of the notch just work your way along the east side of the ridge crest and follow the line of least resistance (ledges, short chimneys, etc). There are even cairns in places. You're probably never more than 50 feet below the ridge crest. The finger traverse seems like the natural line to take once through the E-W notch--just stay high.