"Did you summit?"

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i ususally fake a french accent and "no parlezvous engleesh" to avoid that question...or give a big YES regardless of the truth cuz they like that.

This is a pretty good response. Sometimes it's more fun to look at them with a straight face and state in plain english say, "I do not speak english," (you can say "American" for added effect.)

I don't know what it is about the questions, but when you get asked so many times, and you're bummed from not sending the route, it just gets annoying.

well, there's your problem - you're bummed from not sending. don't let it bother you. if they're just curious hikers i don't see any reason to lie to them. a lot of times you've just attempted to do something they wouldn't dream of trying. if they're assholes, give them a short answer and keep going. no need to be an asshole back just because you're mad or disappointed at yourself. people are curious by nature - that's how they learn.

I don't know how many times we got asked that by innocent hikers.

We'd say no.

If there were a followup question, such as, "How was the route?" we'd say that we tried a harder route, the headwall. Or we'd describe the icecliffs in gory detail until they'd start puzzling. (It's hard not to make something come out as arrogant when you imply you were climbing something harder than the dog route.)

Then there was the guy who asked us if we turned around because we didn't bring enough pro. yelrotflmao.gif

Finally back at the car,

"Did you guys summit?"

"No."

"Did you guys almost summit?" (wtf does that mean?)

"We came back alive."

"Well I guess that's all that counts -- too many deaths in the news lately."

So what do yall say in a situation like this?

It all reminded me of that Kelly Cordes letter in Alpinist a few months ago.

Look pissed off and tired as hell, and move quickly. Avoid eye contact. Nobody will bother you.

I don't know how many times we got asked that by innocent hikers.

We'd say no.

If there were a followup question, such as, "How was the route?" we'd say that we tried a harder route, the headwall. Or we'd describe the icecliffs in gory detail until they'd start puzzling. (It's hard not to make something come out as arrogant when you imply you were climbing something harder than the dog route.)

Then there was the guy who asked us if we turned around because we didn't bring enough pro. yelrotflmao.gif

Finally back at the car,

"Did you guys summit?"

"No."

"Did you guys almost summit?" (wtf does that mean?)

"We came back alive."

"Well I guess that's all that counts -- too many deaths in the news lately."

So what do yall say in a situation like this?

It all reminded me of that Kelly Cordes letter in Alpinist a few months ago.

This shit drives me crazy. Just mumble something and get on with what your doing. If the person asking the questions is hot, well then, start wanking to impress them.