Chalk - you've got to be kidding me...

JosephH

==========================================

Upfront disclaimer - I despise the stuff and usually only use it [sparingly] when temps get above 90, on particular sloping moves on hard routes, or I'm on slick, white Valley granite.

==========================================

<Rant ON>

In a short week since opening the routes out at Beacon Rock have been literally slathered with the stuff. A judicious dip now and then when it's truly needed by a few people that sweat exessively is one thing, but it was certainly completely unnecessary on the trade routes out at Beacon yesterday or for the week for that matter. From what I saw it must at this point be an desparately obsessive pychological crutch for many, many people. Also, to have routes chalked up to the point where it's climb-by-the-numbers(dots) just adds to the mental crutch. Just for fun sometime consider leaving it at home and climbing without it and see how you fair. Or at least consider using it judiciously, and only when it's really necessary. Slathering it everywhere unnecessarily just sucks...

[and 90 percent of the routes out at Beacon don't need any 90% of the time...]

<Rant OFF>

I'll get flamed on this no doubt, but it really just completely degraded the whole experience to a degree I haven't experienced in some time...

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny - i noticed the same thing today. i myself seldom have use for the stuff unless i'm pumped stupid, but most folks do seem use it even when they're sweating - odd. kinda like bitching'bout trash on the side of the road - truly fighting the tide...

think i saw the peregrine's today, plus tree frogs and bats - very sweet

I agree, but it is a hard habit to break, I'm trying and thanks for the reminder.

It amazes me to see people doing the low traverse on pussy wall at the Butte, hardest move 5.5, 1-3 feet off the deck, chalk, step, move other foot, chalk, chalk other hand, move feet...chalk chalk, feet ... repeat as necessary.

BTW, I suspect your detailed routefinding report for YW on the internet will help large amounts of people find and thus chalk the holy shit out of that route.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/424372/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

Maybe you can edit it and give up the detailed instructions on Your route which goes up and R from the first pitch. It might not ever see any chalk anyway..... grin.gif might get cleaned up some!

I think that the use of chalk will result in common cases of lung disease in @ 10 years.

But thats me.

I stoped using chalk about 4 months ago because I ran out and didnt want to buy more. I found that I can climb anything that I can with chalk just as good as I can without. I think people just get in the habit of dipping when there nervous. Chalks over rated.

I stoped using chalk about 4 months ago because I ran out and didnt want to buy more. I found that I can climb anything that I can with chalk just as good as I can without. I think people just get in the habit of dipping when there nervous. Chalks over rated.

if you do not believe in using chalk to get up shit try, devils lake in Wisc or Fountainbleau or countless other super-climbed out slippery piles.

but I agree, chalk is over-rated and aid and I definitely use it more when nervous.

Craig, if you need chalk go to the central weight-lifting room and fill it up.

I'll stop using chalk when you pry it from my hot sweaty fingers...tongue firmly in cheek, thanks for the Beacon outing Joe & Bill

Our pleasure Jim, I'll climb with you again anytime you'd have me!

BTW, note to the rest of you pups, at our age, we have to chalk just to climb out of bed in the morning.

errr, I'll try to minimise my useage on the rocks though.

I found that I can climb anything that I can with chalk just as good as I can without.

Not supporting overuse, but this statement gets a big "Whatever". Go climb a hard steep Index face climb in the 80 degree sun without chalk. Say Swim or the approach pitch to Madsen's Ledge ...

For a bunch of supposed hardcore types (too hard for bolts, into long-ass alpine approaches and bushwacking, sleep on portaledges and eat cold beanie-weanies for breakfast), you sure do get your nips in a tweak over something so trivial as chalk. Sounds like all this bold behavior is just a front to cover some pretty soft everyday insecurity.

Toughen up, you nancy-ass sons-a-bitches! boxing_smiley.gif