Tatoosh Peaks Traverse?

JoshK

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1999 we ran the traverse in 1 day from Eagle to Unicorn.

1. Eagle

2. Chutla

3. Wahpenayo

4. Lane

5. Denman

6. Plummer

7. Pinnacle

8. Castle

9. Foss

10. Unicorn

I guess to do the complete traverse would mean getting up in the morning a bit earlier. We started at 4 am and allowed at least 15 minutes on a summit. We took a half an hour nap on Foss. Made it to car just as it turned dark.

Boundary Peak doesn't count?

Yes, Boundary Peak, does count along with Tatoosh Peak. Don't know if I would count Stevens Peak though. We just chose to stop at Unicorn. Like I said, to do the whole traverse in a day would require an early early start with a full moon to shed some light on the night.

Boundary Peak doesn't count?

Yes, Boundary Peak, does count along with Tatoosh Peak. Don't know if I would count Stevens Peak though. We just chose to stop at Unicorn. Like I said, to do the whole traverse in a day would require an early early start with a full moon to shed some light on the night.

I've been up Unicorn a couple times, keep thinking it would be cool to check out Boundary and/or Stevens, but I haven't got around to it. Nice job on the traverse, that sounds like a fun outing.

I've done the traverse twice, both times from Unicorn to Eagle. Once in July 2000, and again as a ski tour last March. The summer traverse was done in a day, with an extra summit climbed south of Wahpenayo. We used two cars, left one at Longmire, and drove to the Unicorn TH at the other end. I think we started at about 7am, and made it to Longmire about a half-hour after dark. We didn't take a rope - really didn't need it - but line would have made the descent from the peak immediately west of Unicorn a little easier. The downclimbing was really loose. The traverse was mentioned in Climbing or Rock and Ice years ago as a "classic," and their description was the Unicorn-Eagle. Heading all hte way out ot Boundary would probably necessitate a bivy.

I did the traverse back in September 2003 and it was great fun. We did it a little differently than most people. We wanted to do a round trip so we started from Longmire and did

1. Eagle

2. Chutla

3. Wapenayo

[rest break and refill water at the lake]

4. Lane

5. Denman

6. Plummer

[nap at the saddle]

7. Pinnacle

8. Castle

[rest/water refil at muddy puddle]

9. Foss

10. Boundary

11. Unicorn

We intended to bag Stevens too, but we were exhausted and Stevens is a LONG way away so we just headed back out to the snow lake trailhead where we stashed bikes for the mostly downhill ride back to Longmire.

TRIP REPORT HERE